[SOLVED] Adding A 2nd NVME to z390 MOBA

DJLegacy2k5

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
Hello,

So I have a 9700k, 2080 Super in pciex16, 64gb ram in an Aorus z390 pro wifi moba with LOTS of cooling. The nvme in there is a 970 plus 1tb and I ordered a 980 plus 2tb tonight. I know if I use both nvme slot I'll only be able to use sata 2 and 3 (if I read things right but I could be wrong?) lanes for my 860evo 1tb ssd and my 870 QVO 4tb ssd.....but what I'm unclear of is will this drop my 2080 pcie x16 lane down to 8x, which I cant do. What is the best way of installing both NVME drives and the 2 ssds while keeping my GPU at full speed and is this possible? The copy of the book I have for the z390 pro wifi is a bit of a mess.

Will I need a pcie x4 to nvme adapter or can I just use the 2 nvme on the board and only lose a few stat channels but still have 2 for my other ssds?

Help, suggestions?

Thanks,
DJ

Last edited:
Solution
So moving mg Samsung ssds to 2 and 3 and removing the 7200rpm HDD and worth 480GB ssd while adding the 2nd ssd should be good to go then, in theory. Yeah I wasnt sure as someone else had said if you run the nvme in full speed you have to "put them in pci mode then you'll lose your gpu to x8" but all o had seen was losing saya ports and having to lose a drive or two which I was getting rid of anyways so putting the 2 ssds on 2 and 3 would work fine
It may be the case for some motherboards but that does not mean its how every motherboard works. Based on the table of your motherboard manual (page 20) you still have SATA 0 , 1 , 2 and 3 available so you can still use your HDD.
Hello,

So I have a 9700k, 2080 Super in pciex16, 64gb ram in an Aorus z390 pro wifi moba with LOTS of cooling. The nvme in there is a 970 plus 1tb and I ordered a 980 plus 2tb tonight. I know if I use both nvme slot I'll only be able to use sata 2 and 3 (if I read things right but I could be wrong?) lanes for my 860evo 1tb ssd and my 870 QVO 4tb ssd.....but what I'm unclear of is will this drop my 2080 pcie x16 lane down to 8x, which I cant do. What is the best way of installing both NVME drives and the 2 ssds while keeping my GPU at full speed and is this possible? The copy of the book I have for the z390 pro wifi is a bit of a mess.

Will I need a pcie x4 to nvme adapter or can I just use the 2 nvme on the board and only lose a few stat channels but still have 2 for my other ssds?

Help, suggestions?

Thanks,
DJ
With a quick look to your motherboard site the only way that the first PCIe slot will run at x8 mode is if you install a second graphics card at the second PCIe slot (the motherboard supports SLI). So i wouldnt worry for the second NVME SSD as you already mentioned you will just lose some SATA ports (SATA3 4 and SATA3 5).

Reactions: DJLegacy2k5

DJLegacy2k5

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
With a quick look to your motherboard site the only way that the first PCIe slot will run at x8 mode is if you install a second graphics card at the second PCIe slot (the motherboard supports SLI). So i wouldnt worry for the second NVME SSD as you already mentioned you will just lose some SATA ports (SATA3 4 and SATA3 5).

DJLegacy2k5

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019

So moving mg Samsung ssds to 2 and 3 and removing the 7200rpm HDD and worth 480GB ssd while adding the 2nd ssd should be good to go then, in theory. Yeah I wasnt sure as someone else had said if you run the nvme in full speed you have to "put them in pci mode then you'll lose your gpu to x8" but all o had seen was losing saya ports and having to lose a drive or two which I was getting rid of anyways so putting the 2 ssds on 2 and 3 would work fine

It may be the case for some motherboards but that does not mean its how every motherboard works. Based on the table of your motherboard manual (page 20) you still have SATA 0 , 1 , 2 and 3 available so you can still use your HDD.

Solution

DJLegacy2k5

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
It was a reply about MY motherboard lol so thatsbwhy I was confused but I'll get rid of the 7200rpm HDD anyways it writes at like 151mb, may not keep the 480fb sad it writes at like 230mb. The 1tb 970 evo plus & 4tb 980 PRO 2tb and the 860 Evo 1tb ssd and 870 QVO 4tb ssd should be plenty for now I'll add bigger drives instead of those older ones soon or later.