Adding a 4 port USB 2.0 card to a older PC with Built in U..

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've got an older homebuilt machine with USB 1.0 built in on the MB.
I'm currently using a mouse and a card reader on both available ports.
I want to buy an all in one Printer / Copier / Fax / Scanner etc that
I'd bet requires USB 2.0 ( it's a HP - 6210 FWIW) Can I run both USB
1.0 from the built in USB ports and also add a 4 port 2.0 USB card to
use with the new all in one printer /scanner etc combo ? Or do I have
to disable the built in USB 1.0 ports ?

I noticed in setup that there was a setting for "Assign IRQ for USB"
that was enabled, and also there was another setting "onchip USB "
that was enabled. FWIW.

The PC is an AMD K6-II 450 with an Epox MVP3G2 MB ( If you can
remember back that far ;) ) and 256 megs of memory, with Windows ME.

I've just got a video card, sound card & network card installed and an
external dial up modem installed as backup to Comcast so there should
be ? A free IRQ or two I'd suspect, unless having two versions of USB
on one computer may cause unforeseen problems ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance ..... Gary

Remove nospam and extra @ to reply directly

Gary wrote:
> I've got an older homebuilt machine with USB 1.0 built in on the MB.
> I'm currently using a mouse and a card reader on both available ports.
> I want to buy an all in one Printer / Copier / Fax / Scanner etc that
> I'd bet requires USB 2.0 ( it's a HP - 6210 FWIW) Can I run both USB
> 1.0 from the built in USB ports and also add a 4 port 2.0 USB card to
> use with the new all in one printer /scanner etc combo ? Or do I have
> to disable the built in USB 1.0 ports ?
>
> I noticed in setup that there was a setting for "Assign IRQ for USB"
> that was enabled, and also there was another setting "onchip USB "
> that was enabled. FWIW.
>
> The PC is an AMD K6-II 450 with an Epox MVP3G2 MB ( If you can
> remember back that far ;) ) and 256 megs of memory, with Windows ME.
>
> I've just got a video card, sound card & network card installed and an
> external dial up modem installed as backup to Comcast so there should
> be ? A free IRQ or two I'd suspect, unless having two versions of USB
> on one computer may cause unforeseen problems ?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance ..... Gary
>
> Remove nospam and extra @ to reply directly

Hi,

I think it should work just fine. I basically have the same set up. A
mobo with onboard USB 1.0, which routes to the front and back of the
case. I installed a USB 2.0 PCI card (Iogear, but any will be fine), and
this worked just fine in conjunction with USB 1.0.
Lately, I removed the Iogear card as I needed firewire. So now I've a
i1394 and USB 2.0 card working fine with onboard USB 1.0. Card is Syba,
I believe.

Good luck,,
Jonathan.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:58:56 GMT, Jonathan Oakley
<jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>> I've got an older homebuilt machine with USB 1.0 built in on the MB.
>> I'm currently using a mouse and a card reader on both available ports.
>> I want to buy an all in one Printer / Copier / Fax / Scanner etc that
>> I'd bet requires USB 2.0 ( it's a HP - 6210 FWIW) Can I run both USB
>> 1.0 from the built in USB ports and also add a 4 port 2.0 USB card to
>> use with the new all in one printer /scanner etc combo ? Or do I have
>> to disable the built in USB 1.0 ports ?
>>
>> I noticed in setup that there was a setting for "Assign IRQ for USB"
>> that was enabled, and also there was another setting "onchip USB "
>> that was enabled. FWIW.
>>
>> The PC is an AMD K6-II 450 with an Epox MVP3G2 MB ( If you can
>> remember back that far ;) ) and 256 megs of memory, with Windows ME.
>>
>> I've just got a video card, sound card & network card installed and an
>> external dial up modem installed as backup to Comcast so there should
>> be ? A free IRQ or two I'd suspect, unless having two versions of USB
>> on one computer may cause unforeseen problems ?
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance ..... Gary
>>
>> Remove nospam and extra @ to reply directly
>>

>Hi,
>
>I think it should work just fine. I basically have the same set up. A
>mobo with onboard USB 1.0, which routes to the front and back of the
>case. I installed a USB 2.0 PCI card (Iogear, but any will be fine), and
>this worked just fine in conjunction with USB 1.0.
>Lately, I removed the Iogear card as I needed firewire. So now I've a
>i1394 and USB 2.0 card working fine with onboard USB 1.0. Card is Syba,
>I believe.
>
>Good luck,,
>Jonathan.

Thanks for the information Johnathan !

Regards ... Gary

peter

In article <nrsg81th87ogovr5s2mv2r31ma9sp06dtv@4ax.com>, grynwbry@nospam
says...
> I've got an older homebuilt machine with USB 1.0 built in on the MB.
> I'm currently using a mouse and a card reader on both available ports.
> I want to buy an all in one Printer / Copier / Fax / Scanner etc that
> I'd bet requires USB 2.0 ( it's a HP - 6210 FWIW) Can I run both USB
> 1.0 from the built in USB ports and also add a 4 port 2.0 USB card to
> use with the new all in one printer /scanner etc combo ? Or do I have
> to disable the built in USB 1.0 ports ?

Just a thought, but why do you think that device won't work with USB 1?
Most devices are backward compatible as far as I know.

<snip>
--
Pete Ives