Adding a 802.11n router to home network

espett

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hello,

I just got a new computer that is equipped with a wireless-n network card. I have a DSL connection and the network in the house is 802.11b/g. The gateway is a Motorola and the router and modem are the same device.

If I were to take connect one of the four ports on the Motorola to a new wireless-n router will it there be interference or conflicts from running two networks? How can I do this properly to minimize any potential problems?

I was thinking of gettting one of the cheap wireless-n routers on the market:

Cisco-Linksys WRT160N

or

D-Link DIR-601

What is the advantage of getting a more expensive one like this:

D-Link DAP-2553

Thanks in advance for the help!

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

then connect you PC via network cable to your new router and log into it. Refer to the router manual for default address and login info.

disable DHCP, and change the LAN IP to the Gateway IP from above but ending in 254. save settings
change the default password.
setup the wireless security.
now connect one of the 4 LAN ports to the Motorola.

personally I would get the WRT160N router.

the DAP-2553 is a Access Point only, does not have a WAN/Internet port.

espett

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
After running the ipconfig command I get:

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254

On the OLD router I get:

IP Address: 192.168.1.254
DHCP Starting IP Address: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Ending IP Address: 192.168.1.253

I have disabled DHCP on the NEW router but I am not quite sure what to set the IP address to. Right now it is the same as on the OLD router...

Thanks!