Adding a b router to a g router

I am fairly new at this so bear with me.

I have a DI-624 wireless access point and router. I have 4 PCs hardwired
into it it also acts as a access point for a number of g PCs elsewhere in
the house. I currently have to run the DI624 in mixed mode becuase I have 2
b clients. The DI 624 get to the internet via a cable modem

I also have a spare linkssys wrt54g acess point/router. I would like to set
this up as a b only accesspoint so that I can then make the g 624 g only.

i have no idea how to do this.

I tried plugging a cable from a normal port in the 624 to the wan port on
the linksys but that did not seem to work.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:55:21 -0400, "Robert Desel"
<rdesel@comcast.net> wrote:

>I am fairly new at this so bear with me.

OK, I'll be nice (this time only).

>I have a DI-624 wireless access point and router. I have 4 PCs hardwired
>into it it also acts as a access point for a number of g PCs elsewhere in
>the house. I currently have to run the DI624 in mixed mode becuase I have 2
>b clients. The DI 624 get to the internet via a cable modem

OK, so you're already experiencing the slowdown in 802.11g
precipitated by nearby 802.11b clients and access points.

>I also have a spare linkssys wrt54g acess point/router. I would like to set
>this up as a b only accesspoint so that I can then make the g 624 g only.

It's easy to do. Use the same SSID on both radios. Set them on
different channels. Your non-overlapping choices are 1, 6, and 11.
Setup the WRT54G as in:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp
The basic idea is to NOT connect anything to the WAN port on the
WRT54G. Your DI-624 has all the ethernet ports filled, so you'll need
to move one of the existing PC's over to the WRT54G. Once the port is
available, run a CAT5 cable between the LAN ports on both units. You
may need to play with crossover cables, or reversing switches. Just
watch the lights.

>i have no idea how to do this.
>
>I tried plugging a cable from a normal port in the 624 to the wan port on
>the linksys but that did not seem to work.

That's your mistake. Don't plug anything into the WRT54G WAN port.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us