[SOLVED] Adding a GPU to my PC with a 500W PSU

Sep 12, 2021
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire. It came with a HDD, 12gb ram, no gpu, no ssd. I plan to upgrade the gpu and and add an ssd at some point.

Anyway, the PSU on the system is 500W 80+ Gold, and I want to add a GPU to it. I'm not sure if I should just add a GPU that draws power from the PCI-E slot, or if I'm better off adding something like a 1660 super or a 1070 ti to it?
I believe there's a spare 6pin connector from the PSU, but I'm not sure if I could use it for a GPU.

HltQLJ6.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Solution
The PSU only has one 6 pin PCI-e connector? 1660 Super and 1070 (Ti) always at least need a 6+2 pin PCI-e connector so that cards are out of reach. The fastest card you can add is a 1650 Super/GTX 1660 with a 6 pin.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire. It came with a HDD, 12gb ram, no gpu, no ssd. I plan to upgrade the gpu and and add an ssd at some point.

Anyway, the PSU on the system is 500W 80+ Gold, and I want to add a GPU to it. I'm not sure if I should just add a GPU that draws power from the PCI-E slot, or if I'm better off adding something like a 1660 super or a 1070 ti to it?
I believe there's a spare 6pin connector from the PSU, but I'm not sure if I could use it for a GPU.

HltQLJ6.jpg

Thanks for any help.
Buy a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...9d402&pd_rd_wg=W7duW&pd_rd_i=B001TK3TJY&psc=1

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your not wrong tho, but still i had a question. If it can lead to catastrophic resaults, why do people still sell these and buy these?
Because there is a market for these items. There will always be buyers who can't afford the better solution, or simply don't know they are putting their system at risk.

In some cases, these adapters may work perfectly fine. In others...disaster. There are MANY threads here on TH where use of such adapters ended with a significant emotional event (not good).

Your not wrong tho, but still i had a question. If it can lead to catastrophic resaults, why do people still sell these and buy these?

Perhaps you need to go and learn about human nature.

People sell them because:

1. They do not care what happens after they get a sale.

2. People buy them.

People buy them because:

1. They're gullible.

2. They want to cheap out instead of doing it properly and getting the right power supply.

No offence intended, but your question is a somewhat naïve one.

OP, just look into getting a good quality power supply that will work with your system.

USAFRet

Titan
Your not wrong but Im not trying to teach to anyone, im just giving advice to people on what i know and if im wrong i guess i could learn from it, Im really interest in pc and i would love to help anyone out.
Advice is teaching.

Be careful of what advice you give. People are spending actual money, based on what they read here.

We were all 15 years old once.
And we thought we knew it all...;)

Be careful of what advice you give. People are spending actual money, based on what they read here.

This 100%. When giving advice, you need to be sure of your facts because people will potentially go out and act on your advice.

Nobody doubts your intentions are good, I'd worry more if anyone thought otherwise. But just make sure that whatever advice you provide, it's factual and that nobody would ever regret following it.

In this instance, you gave advice that potentially could be dangerous. So don't be surprised if you're corrected on it.

DSzymborski

Titan
Cheez im getting so much heat just because of one reply. Look i learned my lesson and im only 15, theres alot of things i need to learn.

It's a noble motivation. However, an important part of knowledge is knowing what you don't know. And you shouldn't be directly offering advice on a particular subject if you don't actually know the answer. People here spend significant amounts of money on the advice of others and this is doubly-important because it's a part that's responsible for safety. I'm sure you have things to offer, but make sure you're in topics in which you know well.

This is why smart folks, who might not be particularly knowledgeable in general or in certain areas, tend to lurk for a while, reading and learning until they are at least partially up to speed on a fairly strong mixed bag of recommendations and best practices. Then they tend to start offering advice in small doses, while still continuing to see what the more experienced members have to say about certain subjects, and then more often than not if they are able to accept wisdom in addition to merely being "smart" they will adopt those positions for use in the future when attempting to offer advice. Nobody knows it all, none of us, but you need to know at least a solid baseline of information else you just end up feeling silly at some point.