Hello

Ill start off with my current setup:
600W Cooler Master PSU
P7P55 LX Motherboard
i5 750 lynnfield @ 3.5 GHz
Asus 5770 Cucore
4GB g.skill ram 1333mhz
random harddrive

I am looking to upgrade my home entertainement set and I am planning to buy the Asus vg248qe 144 hz monitor because it supports G-sync and the high refreshrate for FPS games. Because my system is old and I havent upgraded it for a while, would adding a new GFX help or would it be more of a waste? I've done some research and I thought the EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti FTW was a good buy but I am not sure how it will work with the older motherboard?

Please tell me your thoughts about there purchases!

Indigo

Solution

Well, your system won't be "high-end" but it will play at 1080p with great settings and great fps. You won't be maxing out the really demanding games, but by tweaking the quality settings you will be able to get plenty of fps. Some games are very cpu-demanding (especially multi-player modes), and your cpu will hold you back a little compared to newer CPUs. But to get a better CPU you'll need to build a new system. The 750ti...

larkspur

Distinguished
Overclocked i5 750s are still pretty good. The GTX 750ti will be an excellent upgrade over the 5770 and will be very noticeable. I think you'll be very happy with your upgrade and should be able to squeeze a some more useful life out of your i5 750.

Indigoism

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Ok great thats what I thought. Always been happy with the speed of my computer but the FPS in games is mostly quite low. But thats to be expected with what was a budget card about 3 years ago.

I suppose my motherboard is also ok? I saw that ram was relatively cheap and I think I want to upgrade to 8GB of ram. Do you recommend any specific ram modules?

To be honest, I've always been a performance freak because I play games competetively, but I could never really afford the high end stuff. Now I am out of school and I am going to spoil myself with with some nice hardware. Will this new configuration really be able to play games at a high and stable FPS?

larkspur

Distinguished
The mobo will handle the 750ti just fine, no problems there. As far as ram goes... you probably won't see much benefit from going to 8gb but aside from your wallet it certainly won't hurt. Since you have an overclock going, I'd suggest a kit of DDR3-1600. As far as the benefits of 8gb vs 4gb, I'll defer to the discussion here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1744856/difference-gaming-4gb-8gb-ram.html

Anyway, have fun, happy gaming!

larkspur

Distinguished

Well, your system won't be "high-end" but it will play at 1080p with great settings and great fps. You won't be maxing out the really demanding games, but by tweaking the quality settings you will be able to get plenty of fps. Some games are very cpu-demanding (especially multi-player modes), and your cpu will hold you back a little compared to newer CPUs. But to get a better CPU you'll need to build a new system. The 750ti is a mainstream card - it isn't high-end, but is very capable of playing 1080p with great fps. It actually pairs very well with your older overclocked i5 750. Going from what you had before I think it'll be a great upgrade and create a very capable gaming system. High-end? No... but still very good.

Solution

Indigoism

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Makes sense! Ill be playing cs go mainly which is very undemanding it seems because I am already getting well over 128 fps in 5v5 environment. But it would be nice to play some new games :) I dont really have to run my games on ultra, I prefer a quality loss for more FPS so the gameplay is as smooth as possible. Thats also why I am buying the 144 hz monitor.

Thank you for your help :) You gave me some good stuff to think about.

Indigo