Adding a new hard drive to an old motherboard

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Apologies if this question has been posted in the past but I've been
unable to find a good answer.

I have an old motherboard (c 1998-9). One of the hard drives has just
died and I want to replace it with a new 40GB one. I have read that
old motherboards/their BIOS won't recognise sizes over a certain limit
(eg. 8GB). I believe that there are ways to resolve this with software
/ drivers / BIOS settings but I've read conflicting advice.

If anyone could offer any info / advice I would be very grateful.

Pete.

Jordan

Got a Maxtor 120Gig SATA HDD, boots up fine when it's the only drive on
my computer. The BIOS (Award) is set to HDD-0.
Now, I'd like to install my old 60Gig Seagate as a Slave (was the
Master) so I can access the data.
I set the jumpers on it for Slave operation, but booting up the computer
fails when the Seagate is attached. It seems to want to boot from the
old drive, even though it is set as Slave.
I tried cabling it up to the primary, and also tried secondary IDE
header to no avail.
I downloaded and installed the last BIOS upgrade for the Gigabyte
m'board - no change.
Any ideas, folks?

Jordan <jwprincic@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Got a Maxtor 120Gig SATA HDD, boots up fine when it's the only drive on
>my computer. The BIOS (Award) is set to HDD-0.
>Now, I'd like to install my old 60Gig Seagate as a Slave (was the
>Master) so I can access the data.
>I set the jumpers on it for Slave operation, but booting up the computer
>fails when the Seagate is attached. It seems to want to boot from the
>old drive, even though it is set as Slave.
>I tried cabling it up to the primary, and also tried secondary IDE
>header to no avail.
>I downloaded and installed the last BIOS upgrade for the Gigabyte
>m'board - no change.
>Any ideas, folks?

I had a somewhat similar case, and discovered that my older IDE drive
would only work if it were Master on a IDE cable (and attached to end
of IDE cable). I put my CDROM as secondary on the IDE cable (center
position).

The SATA master is of course on the SATA controller by itself.

Hard drive manufacturers have software drivers that allow older motherboards
to use hard drive sizes
that are larger then what the motherboard bios was designed to use.
They do the job they are designed to do.
****But stay away from that software***
one virus can screw up your hard drive access.
The special driver software resides in the boot sector, same place some
virus like to hid.
My old roommate use to work tech support for an anti-virus software company.
He told me lots of horror stories of people who used those drivers. (This
was back in 1995-1998)
Best is to get an add-on ATA/IDE controller that has it's own built in bios.
Hopefully one that will work with a motherboard as old as yours
www.privewatch.ocm
www.ebay.com

"Pete" <pgjonesuk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Apologies if this question has been posted in the past but I've been
> unable to find a good answer.
>
> I have an old motherboard (c 1998-9). One of the hard drives has just
> died and I want to replace it with a new 40GB one. I have read that
> old motherboards/their BIOS won't recognise sizes over a certain limit
> (eg. 8GB). I believe that there are ways to resolve this with software
> / drivers / BIOS settings but I've read conflicting advice.
>
> If anyone could offer any info / advice I would be very grateful.
>
> Pete.

Each system can can @^##K you over in many different ways.

I was just one of the lucky ones that worked right off, did i help you
in anyway at all ?, or did you work it out yourself ?

See ya.

"Pete" <pgjonesuk@yahoo.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de

> I have an old motherboard (c 1998-9). One of the hard drives has just
> died and I want to replace it with a new 40GB one. I have read that
> old motherboards/their BIOS won't recognise sizes over a certain limit
> (eg. 8GB). I believe that there are ways to resolve this with software
> / drivers / BIOS settings but I've read conflicting advice.
>
> If anyone could offer any info / advice I would be very grateful.

There is a 8.4GB and a 32GB barrier. It is most probably the 32GB one.
You need to update the BIOS, see the motherboard manufacturer web site.

--
~~~~ clmasse on free dot F-country
Liberty, Equality, Profitability.