Question adding a new M.2 SSD to my motherboard causes PC to receive a boot error

Apr 19, 2022
after having this PC for two years now i have started to get storage issues for my games and had just bought myself a new M.2 1TB SSD ( fanxiang S501 1TB NVMe SSD 3D NAND 1.3 PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 ) as i have noticed there is a spare slot for one on my motherboard ( MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II ).

Now that i have installed it without much issue i turn my pc back on to find out that my PC struggles to boot properly without sticking me on a screen that reads 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key...' and after an hour of searching and trying to fix this, i dont seem to find a solution.

I have looked up that i need to change my 'boot priority' but the only boot device that it let me selects to prioritize is the M.2 SSD and disabling the priority just forces me on the BIOS page

am i missing something? have i missed a step in installing the SSD? do i have to plug the SSD in WHILE my pc is still on?

Apr 19, 2022
What motherboard?

Often, one or more SATA ports is disabled when using something in an M.2 port.
The fix may be as easy as moving your existing SATA drives to other SATA ports on the motherboard.

that was one thing i noticed, on tutorials both in screenshots and videos i've seen people have devices in their SATA ports but no devices are shown in there for me either. i'll take a look

Apr 19, 2022