Question Adding a room to network

Apr 15, 2019
My router is in the garage. Two of the four ports are used by devices in the garage, the other two are free. I would like to have a wired connection in a room on the second story.
I can run a cable up to the attic. My thought from here was to install a 4 port switch. That way I have the option of running cables from the switch to any other room on the second story.
Does this seem like a good plan?
Thanks

It will work but try to get a switch that is rated for the highest temperature possible. Likely nothing will be rated to run a attic that gets above say 45c. Then again I had a switch that does not care about heat but would have issue when it was really cold.

Apr 15, 2019
Ya, I forgot to mention it’ll definitely be warmer than your average desktop climate. I don’t know if temperature is a characteristic that is rated on switches but I’ll look for what I can.

There are no temp ratings on home class switches, nor do I remember them on enterprise class 'cuz I never had to install them in ovens. If it must be in uninsulated attic, look for MIL SPEC devices, may cost u a pretty penny. Got power in the attic I hope?

I did something similar but with a TV booster, never occur to me to place this in attic. Ran the main coax from downstairs up to attic and down into my top floor room and punch a hole in a semi-vented closet room and mounted a STRUCTURED PANEL, making this my secondary JUNCTION, here wired for power placed my booster and ran more coax from this junction to the rest of top floor rooms. Replace CAT for coax, same idea.

nwK-1mgW9GHNZSncUUT8PH5Ipk3cy6zfZAJkT91Hhb0L7gwBqM2u-7jdP2srNdtRv_d7QIvPWKU4Z98il2E6qFMmDcugjiLAWZmAngJXMsq3fl6qAt591xzMTDT5MPxbtFab_hnJLv2ejaWKbHOdWH_JGEpkYEM9YQxXFmqOiOuTbQlTnktcd_PjbhhX67JMssjfLBeV6CiEsBVslTTTJBJhQP_dRJdOErpE5NfiAbDB1EFVmZduYZbottItl4Iz10SaavWY9k2CCjg_nBrI1Cc4f_Q3ws44AwmWTcDrntvdbuS9l9Wu4Q7J0HwA23LLguWTbI6mTxHk3muDphZk0wsSrZZxbRNJdDcVDMutlwwPispho5QMet_DxrOObYsmPTMSCrfa_4W7otOhkvv2kpbagQVIJS5X7TEiNbDemhnzYiHwR-GvXBwJk8lvu-jcBdYjIHFIvl09urK-RvWdlVPBPq5u81gPWpv2JGEqPpaOcMIrRh0BtkV-IVARhUKJMt-QE_fldBZf_tIu--tEfIdN_jxVQNkqQyQ3unQqMTmYxxZ5D8OWfXZFCYhpZn6MUM-Ovj70f6F3857vNte-gx0zGdoFhEkzeW03IBK7pACdtt-HDFhJG-eFoNArgN7LeajeUzN3D1axUXzwz4jpDkTyQ9Q6PrqRv5L51r6ZuZYHFQ_PpVDPIG78nB5zxddhiPc74jdBJNyH4PFhOa8FmtZ-=w850-h637-no