Question Adding a SATA cable to my laptop

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
i've been thinking of adding a second SSD to my laptop because in the top left of the laptop there is room for a ssd/hdd but there is no sata connectivity in the entire laptop just an m 2 slot which is the only slot for and ssd which means there is no way to add a second ssd or hdd in the laptop without using a usb port and having the drive hanging out of the side, so i was wondering if a was able to wire everything up myself? laptop - Acer Aspire A315-22 amd a9 processor not amd a4 if anyone looks further into this.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
A m.2 card can be a SSD, they are ever so slightly more expensive per GB than a SATA 2.5" drive, but can be around 5x faster.
You can easily add a new SSD in your laptop if you have a slot free, you just need to know what size the slot is. M.2 comes in 2230/2242/2260/2280. It may seem comfusing, but they are all the same except the last 2 numbers refers to the length, eg 2230=30mm long, 2280=80mm long. Find out what length your laptop can take and get shopping! :)

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
A m.2 card can be a SSD, they are ever so slightly more expensive per GB than a SATA 2.5" drive, but can be around 5x faster.
You can easily add a new SSD in your laptop if you have a slot free, you just need to know what size the slot is. M.2 comes in 2230/2242/2260/2280. It may seem comfusing, but they are all the same except the last 2 numbers refers to the length, eg 2230=30mm long, 2280=80mm long. Find out what length your laptop can take and get shopping! :)
sorry, forgot to add this but when i bought the laptop the only disk space was the ssd in the m.2 slot.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
If there is a bay in the top left for a drive there should be a SATA connector in there. It should look like this.(obviously this is a different laptop but the connector will look the same.)
http://www.portableone.com/images/Laptop-sata-connector.jpg
If there is a bay in the top left for a drive there should be a SATA connector in there. It should look like this.(obviously this is a different laptop but the connector will look the same.)
http://www.portableone.com/images/Laptop-sata-connector.jpg
View: https://youtu.be/QDylqnmNPoY

i found this video thats not the exact model that mine is but it is still the acer aspire 3. so if you look when he takes off the back cover you will see a 1tb hard drive, for me its just nothing and no sata connections. i tried to get a photo but i cant find one. and my m.2 is 256gb and im ok with that, and why replace it when you can have that one and another ssd without paying tonnes of money. but just wanted to know if that helped at all, thanks in advance!

Does your laptops motherboard at least HAVE the mount for the ribbon cable that turns into the SATA hard drive connections.

If it does maybe can order a replacement ribbon for the other guys laptop that would work in yours. As you said there the same model "kinda"

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Does your laptops motherboard at least HAVE the mount for the ribbon cable that turns into the SATA hard drive connections.

If it does maybe can order a replacement ribbon for the other guys laptop that would work in yours. As you said there the same model "kinda"
yes, it does. do you have a link for that cable because i cannnot find it anywhere on the internet. or do you know what its called so i can look further into this?

TRENDING THREADS