[SOLVED] Adding a second drive to Ideapad 720s (15")

rushrage

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2012
Hi guys,

I've done desktop builds before, but never anything with laptops. I want to add another drive to my Ideapad 720S (15") - 81AC0008US, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

In the little manual for the laptop is says, "M.2 SSD / PCIe 3.0 x 4"

39oTKtW.png

Does that mean I have 4 PCIe slots? I'm guessing the original SSD take one and the gpu takes another? Should I crack open my case before buying a drive?

I also doesn't say anything about which interface to use. I was doing some reading, should I be looking specifically for a NVMe or SATA interfaced drive? Do I need to worry about comparability/how would I check for comparability?

Also, in this Hardware Maintenance Manuel, is mentions on page that the "SSD Capacity" is "128 GB/256 GB/512 GB/1 TB "

ESItB2u.png

Does that mean I can't use a 2 TB drive in the PCIe slot?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
From reading the specs and various reviews, it seems your laptop, being a very slim model, comes with an M.2 SSD as standard (in various capacities) and has no other slots or bays for additional storage.

The only options therefore are:

a) swap the existing SSD for one with higher capacity

or

b) buy a portable HDD or SSD.
From reading the specs and various reviews, it seems your laptop, being a very slim model, comes with an M.2 SSD as standard (in various capacities) and has no other slots or bays for additional storage.

or

Solution

rushrage

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2012

or

That makes sense. If I swap the drive is there a way to re-install Windows without having to pay for it?

USAFRet

Titan
That makes sense. If I swap the drive is there a way to re-install Windows without having to pay for it?
Reinstall on a new drive, in that same laptop, incurs no licensing issues or need to purchase a new license.