Feb 12, 2020
Before I explain in detail here's my specs:

650W EVGA GOLD PSU
Ryzen 7 2700x (not oc)
GTX 1070 ti (not oc)
MSI B350 gaming pro carbon mobo
16GB Corsair Veangance RAM
And like 5 fans

I have a GTX 9604GB just lying around and wanted to use it for 2 of my monitors was also thinking of using it as a dedicated physx GPU.

Here comes my issue, after installing it my desktop won't boot past the mobo splash screen. Could this be because I need a bigger PSU? Or is what I'm doing not possible at all? Thank you.

Solution
No. What you are trying to do while possible provides no advantage and gives nothing but headaches.

To start, technically you can use two different GPUs for basic video output, but not gaming so there's 0 reason to try.

As far as Physx while it was popular a few years back to use old GPUs for physics card, there is not reason now as many games don't actually use Physx anymore and the small amount of processing power it does take is irrelevant to performance.

Sell the 960 or use it in another computer.
No. What you are trying to do while possible provides no advantage and gives nothing but headaches.

To start, technically you can use two different GPUs for basic video output, but not gaming so there's 0 reason to try.

As far as Physx while it was popular a few years back to use old GPUs for physics card, there is not reason now as many games don't actually use Physx anymore and the small amount of processing power it does take is irrelevant to performance.

Sell the 960 or use it in another computer.

Solution