Adding a second hard drive with similar files to the current drive

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
I just switched computers and I was planning on taking the drive out of my old computer and putting into my new one, but I had already installed some files on my current drive that were present on my old drive as well. If I were to put the second hard drive in, would it conflict with anything? I do not have windows installed on my current HDD as it's running on my SSD, although my old HDD does have windows 10 installed on it. I just need to know whether I would run into any issues with matching files conflicting with each other or something along the lines of that.

I don't think you should run into any problems.

Just make sure your SSD stays your boot drive.

Basically what you will see on the HDD when you boot to the SSD are all the files that are on the HDD including all the Windows files.

Your duplicate files shouldn't matter because nothing on the SSD should be pointing to them.

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
I got the hard drive to connect without problems, but if I wanted to access photos which aren't on the boot drive/in the pictures section in the file explorer, how would I go about doing so?

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016

I found them, I just had to get myself permissions to the users on the second drive and all my pictures, videos, etc were in there, thanks for the help!