Adding a ssd to my pc and keeping the old hdd for extra space.

Alex_162

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
Hey there,so i just got a new ssd to put in my build.
Right now i have a 1TB HDD as my main storage so i wanted to add a 128GB SSD and install windows in it & erase the old HDD files and keep it for extra space.
The problem is i'm not sure how to proceed.

Do i plug the ssd in,boot up windows with a usb stick,format the hdd from the windows setup and install windows on my ssd?

I really have no idea how to proceed.

Solution
Best way it to unplug the reg HD after you hook up the SSD.

Boot the machine from the Windows 10 USB, install Windows.

Shut it back down once it's installed.

Hook up the HD.

Go into Disk management and delete the partitions and format.
Best way it to unplug the reg HD after you hook up the SSD.

Boot the machine from the Windows 10 USB, install Windows.

Shut it back down once it's installed.

Hook up the HD.

Go into Disk management and delete the partitions and format.

Solution

Alex_162

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

So the ssd should popup on the windows 10 partition set-up right?

Your answer seems great,thank you!

It depends on how much space you've used up. It's most likely you have more than 90GB of USED space so CLONING the drive to the SSD isn't feasible.

However, if you have less than 200GB of used space now or after deleting some files you don't need then maybe get a 250GB SSD instead and clone over.

Otherwise, here's what you should do in general:

1) write down your login email + password for W10 (I'm assuming W10... if not adjust as appropriate)
2) write down the names of your programs in a list so you can reinstall easier
3) write down any passwords/codes applicable to installing programs (may be in e-mails), backup e-mails to restore if an option (i.e. Microsoft Outlook) and whatever else you can think of...

4) create a W10 install media
a) insert 8GB+ USB stick
b) download and run the Microsoft media creation tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
c) let it download and finish installing, then REMOVE

5) shut down your PC and attach the SSD
6) optional: bootup and run a diagnostic and see about updating the SSD firmware via the software from the SSD manufacturer (i.e. Samsung Magician)
7) shut down and UNHOOK both cables from the HDD

8) insert the Windows media (i.e. W10 boot stick), and start
9) follow instructions, but for W10 just SKIP the key since it's already registered and Microsoft will ACTIVATE automatically via the internet
10) use the same login email + password (i.e. MSN account) you had previously

11) let Microsoft finish updates (left-click START, settings, security and updates)
12) install at least the following:
a) video drivers (if AMD + NVidia graphics)
b) Realtek or other audio drivers
c) fan control software (motherboard support site) and optimize fan profile
d) antivirus software (there is some basic Microsoft software for now)
etc
*if in doubt do NOT install a driver.

13) install programs from your list
14) setup e-mail, import e-mail backup if you have one
15) shut down and hookup HDD (if boots to HDD, go into BIOS and change back to SSD)

16) make sure you have everything you need (i.e. game saves in "Documents"... etc.. if in doubt save the entire Documents folder to your desktop for now to copy files back from)

16) wait at least a week to make sure everything is okay
17) If there's nothing on the HDD you need (unlikely) just FORMAT it (I'd do an NTFS, full.. not quick.. which takes hours)
18) if you can't format, then make a new FOLDER (i.e. "temporary move") and then move everything you want to KEEP into it, then DELETE all the other folders from the previous Windows installation... so should be just a single folder now so you can then make your new folders like:

Downloads, Media, Windows backup, STEAM (if Steam games you should do that and copy over the "Steamapps" folder there so no need to reinstall... must then reinstall Steam to the new Windows drive and make a new folder in the library settings that matches like "E:\Steam")

19) Finally, make a backup IMAGE in case the SSD hardware fails or software gets too corrupted or screwed up. I paid for Acronis True Image to setup an automated, weekly backup (Differential) with auto deletion of old files.

You can use FREE software like Acronis True Image (for WD HDD's, but manual backup only), or DiscWizard for Seagate... even the W7 Backup utility still in W10 but it's not as good as others but should do that at least.

SUMMARY:
Print this out.
Plan carefully.
Keep the HDD Windows installation until satisfied the SSD one is working.
Make a backup IMAGE right after deleting the HDD Windows files.

Yes the SSD will show up in Windows 10 setup.