Adding a WEP Key to Wireless Network Router

kicker355

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I have recently reset my SMC 2804WBRP-G Router because I forgot my old WEP Key. Now when I set a new key, my wireless devices will not connect to the router.

It works fine without securing the router with a key, but I don't want my neighbors stealing my Internet bandwidth.

Please offer me some suggestions and solutions. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
G
That may be because you are selecting a security type not supported by both the wireless adapter and the router. WEP is not used so much any more as WPA is easier to use and more secure.

More subtly this issue can arise where you have marginal reception and the connection fails while trying to negotiate the encryption. Test with the computer in the same room as the router.

kicker355

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/31382-43-find-security-password-wireless-router

Thanks for the link, but my problem isn't that I can't find the WEP key. It is that when I set a new WEP key for the router, I can no longer connect to the network. I can only connect when there I set the wireless to unsecure.

G

That may be because you are selecting a security type not supported by both the wireless adapter and the router. WEP is not used so much any more as WPA is easier to use and more secure.

More subtly this issue can arise where you have marginal reception and the connection fails while trying to negotiate the encryption. Test with the computer in the same room as the router.

Solution

kicker355

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Thanks Fihart. What the problem was is the old USB wifi reciever I was using didn't have a strong connection. I also have two routers, both on channel 6. I switched one of the routers to channel 8 so it wouldn't interfere because of the distance between my computer and the router is quite far.

G

Smart move to change channels. You might also consider this:

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

TRENDING THREADS