Adding a windows 7 partition to a Win 10 laptop with a win8 UEFI

chappyfl

Honorable
Jun 29, 2016
Title says it all... I purchased an ASUS G750 that shipped with win8 and UEFI. I have googled, tried various install methods and had no luck. Is it possible to install windows7 on a win 10 machine with a win8 uefi? barring that can I just do a clean win7 install? I tried that back when I got the laptop with 8 on it and was unable to achieve. The main reason I am doing this is kind of silly but the wife likes a game ( Daoc) that is 14 years old so..... I played on this machine a year ago and it ran flawlessly. Now, i get skips and lag while in game... same thing on 3 separate internet connections and it runs fine on other machines on the network so not my internet con. I have tried absolute min graphics up to max with same issue.... cpu is not running hot and I can run WOW at max settings with around 100 fps. soo.... that brings me to trying a diff OS on this laptop to see if I have the same issues with this stupid game.

Solution
Is this the model? ROG G750JW

I can see a small problem on this page: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ROG-G750JW/HelpDesk_Download/
NO win 7 drivers.

the bios is just the start of your problems, you wouldn't have any USB drivers in win 7 so even installing OS would be a problem itself. especially since that laptop only has USB 3 ports. None of your USB would work even after Win 7 was installed.

There also isn't many Win 10 drivers either, but thats not so bad as Asus only upgraded drivers that wouldn't work in Win 10 so might want to look at the two win 10 ones on the site, and see if you have them. Rest of drivers aren't overly new.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is this the model? ROG G750JW

I can see a small problem on this page: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ROG-G750JW/HelpDesk_Download/
NO win 7 drivers.

the bios is just the start of your problems, you wouldn't have any USB drivers in win 7 so even installing OS would be a problem itself. especially since that laptop only has USB 3 ports. None of your USB would work even after Win 7 was installed.

There also isn't many Win 10 drivers either, but thats not so bad as Asus only upgraded drivers that wouldn't work in Win 10 so might want to look at the two win 10 ones on the site, and see if you have them. Rest of drivers aren't overly new.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
And then its also impossible to even install Win 7 onto a drive that has been partitioned to run win 8 or 10. It is the UEFI of sorts, The way that Win 8 & 10 discs are formatted is known by Win 7 64 bit but not by 32 bit, and Win 7 64 bit can recognise drives formatted in that style, it itself cannot be installed on it.

win 7 and all windows before it uses MBR format which matches the old style BIOS
Win 8 & 10 use GPT which matches the UEFI.
UEFI boot method cannot boot win 7 discs
MBR cannot boot Win 8 & 10 discs

Windows 10 can read MBR drives if they are storage drives
win 7 can read GPT discs if they are storage drives too

what it all means: http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

Its impossible to have MBR and GPT partitions on the same drive. You cannot make a win 7 partition on a win 8 formatted drive. You would need a separate HDD and then no guarantee bios even lets you change Boot method