[SOLVED] Adding a Y-connector to a motherboard fan header for an additional fan.

Aug 8, 2020
I know that this question may have been asked before, but I know that a lot of situations differentiate on this.

I have have an Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Mobo, AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, RTX 2070 Super, and a Resewill Stryker M case. Currently I have 3x 120MM fans on my case (2x front stock, 1x back Corsair) and 1x 120MM on my CPU heat sync (I also have the ability to add a second on the current heat sync I have installed). My thermals are pretty good with it being summer, but I'm always thinking about my temps and how I can properly cool my hardware. My CPU has been idling in the high 20's to low 30's and my GPU has been idling in the high 30's to low 40's.

My case will support at least 2 more fans at the top and I would like to install one more fan on the top of the case in between my rear fan and my CPU fan, but my MoBo only supports a total of 3 case fans and 2 CPU fans. In order to install a 4th fan, I need to install a Y-connector to one of the CHA_FAN headers. Despite building this system myself, I'm gonna be honest: I've always been scared to stack multiple fans on a single header in fear my fans my be pulling too much power out of a single header and therefore ruining it.

Am I safe plugging my two front fans into a single header and by extension, having a fan on the top of the case facing up in between my CPU and rear fan? Would I be better off having a top fan somewhere between the front fans and the CPU fan facing either up or down? Should I install the extra fan onto my heat sync and have the 2 CPU fans instead of another case fan? Or am I over thinking it and not even bother with any extra fans?

Solution
You can run multiple fans on one header. Thats what fan splitters are intended for. I recommend all front fans as intake, all top fans as exhaust. And if you have an even number of fans, half should be exhaust and other half should be intake, but if you have an odd amount, the extra fan should be intake. Positive pressure is always better. Hope this helps!
You can run multiple fans on one header. Thats what fan splitters are intended for. I recommend all front fans as intake, all top fans as exhaust. And if you have an even number of fans, half should be exhaust and other half should be intake, but if you have an odd amount, the extra fan should be intake. Positive pressure is always better. Hope this helps!

Solution