[SOLVED] Adding acrylic armor to my motherboard ?

ArchLuke

Commendable
Feb 6, 2022
I am adding acrylic armor to my motherboard. The armor will be wrapped with carbon fiber vinyl. Will doing such damage my mobo? I do not think vinyl is electrically conductive, but I just want to make sure.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Neither will damage the motherboard unless you knock off a capacitor or scratch the traces and cause a short on the underside of the motherboard. In the long run, acrylic, not being a good dissipater of heat(but somewhat of an insulator) might be detrimental to your motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Neither will damage the motherboard unless you knock off a capacitor or scratch the traces and cause a short on the underside of the motherboard. In the long run, acrylic, not being a good dissipater of heat(but somewhat of an insulator) might be detrimental to your motherboard.

Solution

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
Mr. ArchLuke, I was thinking the same thing. Even the slightest twist of a PCB motherboard would cause hair line cracks in the foil traces. The slightest pressure on the CPU socket without the correct tension spring pressure could cause faults.

You have to be careful of your micro switches & Bios Battery, that needs to be serviced.
Maybe putting putty or clay around them will be enough. I was thinking of using
Clear 2 part Epoxy. I was too afraid to say this previously in public.

Ralston18

Titan
Also curious about the product(s) you have in mind....

= = = =

What is the driving requirement to "armor" the motherboard?

Why? What are you armoring against? Harsh environment?

Agree - likely there will be subsequent heat issues and probably unexpected repair/maintenance consequences.

The armoring process will likely require very meticulous work; i.e., wrapping the carbon fiber vinyl into place.....

Removal, if ever required, probably impossible.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
No...

Unless you have complete understanding of the engineering & technical know-how to do this successfully, then the answer is a resounding NO !!!!!!!!!!!!

A long time ago, in a galaxy not that far-away , I tried something similar to this and ruined an otherwise completely usable mobo... thankfully I got it for free, so it wasn't that costly of a mistake, but just sayin :)