Question Adding additional GTX 1070Ti for SLI Setup? Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2023
Good morning!

Welcome on the forum, I was passive observer till today, because I finally wanted to upgrade my PC from 2016.
I'm still playing at 1080p but some games (Forza Horizon 5, Cyberpunk 2077) are sometimes struggling with my current setup on Very High/Ultra settings (25-50 fps). I also wanted to prepare for upcoming Starfield game! My current setup you can see in signature.

I already decided on the MB/CPU/RAM and I already have them waiting to install:
- MB: ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus DDR5
- CPU: Intel Core i5 12600k (planning on OC)
- Cooler: DeepCool AK620 Zero Dark
- RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill RipJaws S5 Series (Intel XMP) DDR5 6000 CL36

I don't really have more budget for GPU, I really wanted Radeon RX6700 XT 12GB but with other spendings I cannot afford 300$+ GPU right now and I did not see any decent upgrades for less than 200$ that would last me for few years.

I could add another MSI GTX1070Ti 8GB (found one used for 90$: LINK) but question is - will it work with new Motherboard and is it even worth it? I don't plan on playing in 1440p till i get new monitor which won't be this year for sure, I just want small boost to play current games in 1080p without dropping below 40-50 fps.

What you guys think?

Aug 27, 2023
I see, I wasn't really up to date since I built my PC in 2016 and just recently got back to parts etc - lot of changes, well I'm glad I asked before spending 90+$ then! Thank you guys! I will save up some cash for RX6700XT or newly introduced RX7700XT as this seems to be great upgrade as well!

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023
Thank you guys! I will save up some cash for RX6700XT or newly introduced RX7700XT as this seems to be great upgrade as well!
7700XT would be very nice considering if you sell your 1070Ti, you are in parity with current 6700XT price assuming AMD kept its 400$ MSRP. You essentially got a free performance upgrade chance on your hand.

Reactions: Nexus713
Looks like a good upgrade.

You may well find that your performance issues were more cpu related than graphics related.
See how you do after the build before deciding anything.
Do not plan on overclocking the 12600K.
Gamers have found that 12th and 13th gen processors do better via the normal turbo mechanism that can boost a couple of cores past what an all core oc can do.
Of course, you can experiment.

FWIW, the card you linked was not a 3070ti, but a 3070 which would hot have worked for sli.
The cards need to be the same.

Reactions: Nexus713
Aug 27, 2023
7700XT would be very nice considering if you sell your 1070Ti, you are in parity with current 6700XT price assuming AMD kept its 400$ MSRP. You essentially got a free performance upgrade chance on your hand.

Exactly, I am also planning on selling my other components too (MB+CPU with Cooler+RAM) and quick search shows that I might get ~200-230$ for all parts (with GPU) which could actually go towards the new Graphics Card

Looks like a good upgrade.

You may well find that your performance issues were more cpu related than graphics related.
See how you do after the build before deciding anything.
Do not plan on overclocking the 12600K.
Gamers have found that 12th and 13th gen processors do better via the normal turbo mechanism that can boost a couple of cores past what an all core oc can do.
Of course, you can experiment.

FWIW, the card you linked was not a 3070ti, but a 3070 which would hot have worked for sli.
The cards need to be the same.

Oh I see, when I was overclocking my 6600K i disabled the Turbo Mode and was keeping it at stable 4.2GHz (it seems working a bit faster than stock) so I thought to do similar way with 12600K but hey - thanks for advice! Might do some experimentations because who knows what my unit will be capable of but I will keep your advice in mind.
And you are right my bad, either way I can find used GTX1070Ti for 100-110$ (so I can sell mine for similar price).

Status
Not open for further replies.