[SOLVED] Adding additional RAM sticks

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Hi all,
I currently have 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeneance RGB Pro RAM and was wondering if i wanted to add another 2 sticks of the same to give me a total of 32GB, will i run into any issues by just shutting down, sticking the 2 sticks into the first and third slot (which will take up all 4 slots) and start back up? I also have XMP profile active pushing the full 3200Mhz.
SOC voltage: 1.1V
DRAM: 1.35V

Can anyone advise if this would be safe to do as i find my RAM almost maxing out with a number of Chrome tabs open, multiple applications and a game.

My build is a 3900x, 2060 super and a gigabyte x570 aorus motherboard.

Thank you all.

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
It would be safe, but it's a total guess if it would work. I'd at least set the clock speeds back to 2133MHz before trying.

I went through the same thing going from 2x4GB and wanting to upgrade to 16. Ended up buying a 2x8 kit instead of ordering the same 2x4 RAM as I had. Then I had an idea since both of those RAM kits were the exact same brand and speed, but different sizes; I may as well run 24GB...I plopped in the 8GB kit along side my 16 and got a BSOD. Mind you I did not set the clock speed down from 3200MHz. Pulled the 8 out and called 16 at 3200 good enough.

Reactions: Liborio

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
It would be safe, but it's a total guess if it would work. I'd at least set the clock speeds back to 2133MHz before trying.

I went through the same thing going from 2x4GB and wanting to upgrade to 16. Ended up buying a 2x8 kit instead of ordering the same 2x4 RAM as I had. Then I had an idea since both of those RAM kits were the exact same brand and speed, but different sizes; I may as well run 24GB...I plopped in the 8GB kit along side my 16 and got a BSOD. Mind you I did not set the clock speed down from 3200MHz. Pulled the 8 out and called 16 at 3200 good enough.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

In that case, I'll definitely wait until 16GB doesnt cut it and upgrade to 2x16GB sticks.

Cheers.

JustRelaxASC

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
Is Kingston HX424C15FB3/8 compatible with my old Kingston HX421C14FB2/8 HyperX Fury Black, I'm looking to slightly upgrade my system with it, will they work together as they have different speeds and cl timings? my cpu (i5-6600k) doesn't support higher than 2133Mhz anyways, so will it automatically downclock the new RAM?

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Is Kingston HX424C15FB3/8 compatible with my old Kingston HX421C14FB2/8 HyperX Fury Black, I'm looking to slightly upgrade my system with it, will they work together as they have different speeds and cl timings? my cpu (i5-6600k) doesn't support higher than 2133Mhz anyways, so will it automatically downclock the new RAM?
I wouldnt do that. You typically want to always want the same RAM if youre adding additional that isnt from the same pack.

JustRelaxASC

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
I wouldnt do that. You typically want to always want the same RAM if youre adding additional that isnt from the same pack.

Thing is that would mean I should throw away my old 8gb ram which works perfectly fine, and I don't feel like buying 16gigs now when I already have 8, so I thought manually adjusting timings and speed would work well since they're both hyper fury with very similar specs. I've read somewhere that you should buy at most 1 speed higher and 1 timing higher to make good chances of them working together, and this one is 2400mhz and Cl15 compared to mine at 2133 cl14

D

Deleted member 14196

If it doesn’t work then it doesn’t work get rid of the old ram and use the new ram don’t mix

What you feel like doesn’t matter

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Thing is that would mean I should throw away my old 8gb ram which works perfectly fine, and I don't feel like buying 16gigs now when I already have 8, so I thought manually adjusting timings and speed would work well since they're both hyper fury with very similar specs. I've read somewhere that you should buy at most 1 speed higher and 1 timing higher to make good chances of them working together, and this one is 2400mhz and Cl15 compared to mine at 2133 cl14
See @Mandark response. You should never mix and match no matter what. Its just a rule of thumb with RAM. It can be done but your chance of it not working is existent. Always best to go with a single kit rather than mix and match different kits.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: JustRelaxASC

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
That's one way of doing it.
Be more sensible to sell it and recoup some money.
Or better yet get new RAM from somewhere with a good return policy so if it doesn't work with the original RAM you could return it.
It might work, it might not. Thing is a 2x8 kit would be guaranteed to work.

Last edited: