[SOLVED] Adding additional USB 3.0 ports

Dave421

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
My laptop's motherboard only has 1 USB 3.0 port. I want to add at least one more USB 3.0 port. Can I do this via a USB splitter or some external USB hub? Will the USB speed for each port be the same as it was with 1 port? For example, if 1 port was at 5 Gbit/s and I add a external USB hub and plug in in two USB devices will they both be 5 Gbit/s at the same time or will they be 2.5 Gbit/s each? Are there any other limitations?

Last edited:
Solution
My laptop's motherboard only has 1 USB 3.0 port. I want to add at least one more USB 3.0 port. Can I do this via a USB splitter or some external USB hub? Will the USB speed for each port be the same as it was with 1 port? For example, if 1 port was at 5 Gbit/s and I add a external USB hub and plug in in two USB devices will they both be 5 Gbit/s at the same time or will they be 2.5 Gbit/s each? Are there any other limitations?
You need USB3 hub but all ports on it share same input port and it's bandwidth.
You need USB3 hub but all ports on it share same input port and it's bandwidth.

Solution