[SOLVED] Adding an extra Firewall inbetween my router and PC??

madne$$

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Hello Members,

I would like to add in an extra Firewall just sitting inbetween my router and PC Ethernet lead just for extra protection.
Im currently using a "Virgin Homehub router" & Bitdefender Internet Security either not sure if Windows Firewall is turned off or Bitdefender is using its own.

I purchased a Zyzel UGS 40 a while ago but a posted a forum on here and one member stated that setting up the Zyzel is alittle complicated and if I add a wrong setting or do something wrong it could in theory make my security worse then before.
If you feel the Zyzel UGS 40 being set up properly would be ideal then Id need help getting it set up as a Firewall protection - Not buying the added security yearly.

Another idea I had was using "Bitdefenders Internet of things BOX 2" which sits behind the router and PC but heard compliants that the app isnt great.
I did see other security software have a similar thing Norton and another product.

Just a good Firewall that adds extra protection , if it needs setting up what ever it is then just help on that would be idea.

Thanks for reading and replying in due time.

Regards,
MadneSS

Solution
Hello Members,

I would like to add in an extra Firewall just sitting inbetween my router and PC Ethernet lead just for extra protection.
Im currently using a "Virgin Homehub router" & Bitdefender Internet Security either not sure if Windows Firewall is turned off or Bitdefender is using its own.

I purchased a Zyzel UGS 40 a while ago but a posted a forum on here and one member stated that setting up the Zyzel is alittle complicated and if I add a wrong setting or do something wrong it could in theory make my security worse then before.
If you feel the Zyzel UGS 40 being set up properly would be ideal then Id need help getting it set up as a Firewall protection - Not buying the added security yearly.

Another idea I had was using...
Hello Members,

Another idea I had was using "Bitdefenders Internet of things BOX 2" which sits behind the router and PC but heard compliants that the app isnt great.
I did see other security software have a similar thing Norton and another product.

Just a good Firewall that adds extra protection , if it needs setting up what ever it is then just help on that would be idea.

Thanks for reading and replying in due time.

Regards,
MadneSS

Bitdefender box 2 was defending my network a long time. It is okay. It protects against attacks against non typical devices like iot devices. (Think IP camera, Roku devices, uPnP devices). It also comes with practically unlimited licenses for your devices (windows, android, iOS)

You can add uPnP to any individual device. There is also a guest network which I used for my wiretap devices (Alexa) which prevents Alexa from spying on my network traffic. There is no DMZ/port forwarding offered. The child lock app time is worthless and broken.

I have since switched my main firewall to pfSense with various plug ins. It's virus detection rate isn't great with clam. But with certain plugins I can capture traffic, analyze where it came from and using heuristics dpi tell me sooner if someone is attacking me. Plus it allows port forwards for my backup Nas and has built in support for subnets.

Solution