Adding an extra router and monthly bill rise?

michaelibetohgaming

Commendable
Feb 24, 2018
So I want to start streaming but FIOS is just awful with internet speed. The main router is in my dad's office and it is located on the middle floor, it still has problems despite having the most expensive and "TOP TIER" router from the Verizon FIOS company but it is decent. The basement is not my concern since it's almost always deserted. My Download speed upstairs is less than 20mbps sometimes less than 9 and my upload speed won't stay at a consistent 30mbps. Will adding an extra router make the bill cost to rise? If so how much more? My dad has been with this company for 3 years and 7 months, he also finished his 2 year contract.

This is my current router for the duration of those years, 5g is better but not enough.
Verizon FIOS G1100

Solution
If you're hoping to get an extra FIOS router to plug into coax cable in your room, that's not going to work. There can be only a single cable mode/FIOS router per household, unless you're paying for a business account and requested multiple IP addresses. Residential accounts are limited to a single router.

If you're planning to run an ethernet cable from the existing FIOS router to your room, and plug a new router into that for closer WiFi, yes you can do that. But you have to first convert the new router into an access point (unless you want this to be a personal WiFi network isolated from everything else in the house). There's a sticky which explains how to do this. (Although the easier route would be to simply plug that...
If you're hoping to get an extra FIOS router to plug into coax cable in your room, that's not going to work. There can be only a single cable mode/FIOS router per household, unless you're paying for a business account and requested multiple IP addresses. Residential accounts are limited to a single router.

If you're planning to run an ethernet cable from the existing FIOS router to your room, and plug a new router into that for closer WiFi, yes you can do that. But you have to first convert the new router into an access point (unless you want this to be a personal WiFi network isolated from everything else in the house). There's a sticky which explains how to do this. (Although the easier route would be to simply plug that ethernet cable into your computer).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

The little "whip" omnidirectional antennas and the antennas built into router boxes are only omnidirectional in the horizontal plane. Their signal strength forms a torus (donut shape), and have very little signal strength up/down. If your home is more vertical than horizontal (like some townhouses), then you could try putting the FIOS router on its side so the majority of its signal strength is going up/down. Rotate it so the top/bottom (when upright) correspond to the horizontal directions where you need the least signal. This may allow you to get a better signal without having to run wires or buy new equipment.

http://mpantenna.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/FIGURE-1.png

If that doesn't work, I would suggest getting a router with at least 3 external antennas. Either set it up as an access point as above. Or plug its WAN port into the FIOS router with a static IP address, disable WiFi on the FIOS router, and set its DMZ to the new router's WAN IP address. At that point, you can pretend the FIOS router doesn't exist and just use the new router to control everything on your network. Orient one of the antennas horizontally so its signal strength torus intercepts upstairs and downstairs. Or orient two of the antennas at 45 degrees (opposite each other) so their toruses are not perfectly horizontal but give better coverage upstairs and downstairs. If your devices have external antennas, they should be oriented to be as close as possible to parallel to one of the antennas on the router.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

No, Verizon FiOS does not suck.
The G1100 also does not suck. I have one.

Now...if you're at the other end of a large house, and depending on WiFi...then your experience will be less than optimal.

What speed do you pay Verizon for?
Are you connected wired or WiFi? Sounds like WiFi. Even worse, upstairs/downstairs WiFi.