Adding an HDD for more memory.

Bex16

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Hello everyone. I have an Acer Aspire E15 that I use for gaming and I've almost reached the limit of storage on my SSD. I'm planning on buying a HDD to use for my steam games and everything. I know how to install it. But I was wondering, How do I move all my games to it and is there a setting or something I need to do to make sure my SSD still boots up the games? Any help will be appreciated.

Solution
Pretty simple really. Just bob the drive in and load up windows then follow the thread i link below to instruct you on how to create a simple partition on it so it can be used.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2569580/make-partitions-windows.html

Then cut your games over to the new drive and then delete them from Steam. As you moved them from your SSD Steam folder it will just remove the link from your installed games list on Steam. Then click a game in your Steam game you have moved and then deleted from Steam and ask to install it. You then direct it to the drive/folder than the game folder resides in. Steam will then 'recover' the files and just activate the game again on Steam for use as you already have the files so it...

Bex16

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

Bex16

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Oh no. I know that's not the best thing to do. Lol. My laptop has an extra slot for an extra SSD or HDD. I was going to add an HDD to store everything and use the SSD to boot everything. I was just wondering how exactly do I setup the HDD and put all my Steam games and stuff on it but still use my SSD to load everything.

Pretty simple really. Just bob the drive in and load up windows then follow the thread i link below to instruct you on how to create a simple partition on it so it can be used.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2569580/make-partitions-windows.html

Then cut your games over to the new drive and then delete them from Steam. As you moved them from your SSD Steam folder it will just remove the link from your installed games list on Steam. Then click a game in your Steam game you have moved and then deleted from Steam and ask to install it. You then direct it to the drive/folder than the game folder resides in. Steam will then 'recover' the files and just activate the game again on Steam for use as you already have the files so it doesn't need to download anything just check you have them all.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Just put the new drive in and get it working.
May involve Initialization in Disk Management.

After that, to 'move' Steam games to it. Functionality built into your Steam client, here:
To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder