Question Adding an m.2 ssd (SATA) without an extra m.2 slot

Apr 5, 2019
I was unsure how to word this, and I tried searching through the forums for some information, but I am going to buy an m.2 ssd nvme that uses the pci-e interface and rearrange my previous m.2 ssd SATA somehow on my motherboard. I've seen specific pci-e cards that enable you to add an m.2 ssd with pci-e interface to your motherboard, but I'm trying to find a solution to move my SATA ssd that has the m.2 form factor so that the actual m.2 slot on my motherboard will be free for my new ssd that is nvme pci-e 3 x4. My motherboard is msi b450 gaming plus, my older SATA ssd is WD Blue 3d m.2 2280, my new nvme pci-e 3 x4 m.2 2280 ssd is the HP ex920. I really think that I'm in information overload right now because this tech is still somewhat new to me, and I've been able to find solutions for everything BUT what I'm wanting specifically. I sure hope this is an easy fix, because the older of the two ssd is still pretty new, but I really want the better performance of the newer ssd. I'd appreciate any help at this point. Thanks in advance.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I would highly suggest you re-evaluate "WHY" you want an NVMe SSD in the first place.

And after evaluating, if you feel it is not absolutely necessary and a standard SATA SSD is fine, then get one of those.

But if you evaluate that it is absolutely necessary to have NVMe, then you can get PCIe adapter for your SATA based M.2 if you want to keep using it.

PCIe adapters aren't specifically for NVMe, you can use it just to simply adapt M.2 in general.

Apr 5, 2019
A few practical reasons why I'm getting the nvme ssd: price, space, performance. So you are telling me that I've already seen the solution available for my issue? It is the pci-e adapter card? I just thought that there may have been a solution more specific to the sata interface. Thank you for letting me know that this will indeed work for my application.

M.2 to sata adapter is to be used for M.2 sata drive, if no M.2 slots are available.

SAT32M225.B.jpg

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
nvme m2's won't work in adapters unless your running right off a PCI-e slot.

SATA M2's will adapt and can be used anywhere you want, you can run those straight off a USB, PCI-e or SATA using one of the many adapters. With the added cost of a adapter though why not just buy a standard SSD?

Apr 5, 2019
Thanks again bro. I'm new to using these forums as a member, but I've read them for years as a guest. I'll try to figure out how to rep up your help. Thanks again.