Question Adding an SSD to Laptop, but can't remove the main HDD, can I set boot to the new one ?

Aug 9, 2020
Hi
I'm adding an SSD to my laptop on an HDD caddy.
The problem is I can't reach the original HDD on the laptop, because currently the screen is soldered to the motherboard in a way to keep it stable since it was once broken.... Anyways. I can't remove the original HDD used for boot, in order to make a clean install of Windows on the new SSD.
Is it possible to set up windows on the SSD without removing the original HDD ?

Laptop is a: DELL Inspiron N5110
Current system on it is windows 7

Ralston18

Titan
No answer per se:

Where in the laptop are you going to put the SSD? Or are you thinking an external caddy?

I understand the SSD going into a caddy but the caddy would need to be (I think) placed where the HDD is currently located.

But then again: what make and model HDD is currently installed? I would expect the HDD to be the 2 1/2" size.

Are you able to post some photographs?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

More information needed.

Aug 9, 2020
I'm adding the SSD using the Caddy, replacing the CD ROM ...
I did find that it okay to have the SSD there and using it as main boot drive, since the caddy will be connected with the same speed as the original HDD slot. Or at least not a huge difference.

I don't know about the current HDD, I'm not planning to move it, since I can't access it due to bad mending and soldering of the motherboard into the body.

I just need to know if it's okay to set up my boot system onto the SSD while the HDD is still connected, and after that removing the old boot from the HDD.

Iggyau

Reputable
May 11, 2020
Hi
I'm adding an SSD to my laptop on an HDD caddy.
The problem is I can't reach the original HDD on the laptop, because currently the screen is soldered to the motherboard in a way to keep it stable since it was once broken.... Anyways. I can't remove the original HDD used for boot, in order to make a clean install of Windows on the new SSD.
Is it possible to set up windows on the SSD without removing the original HDD ?

Laptop is a: DELL Inspiron N5110
Current system on it is windows 7

It should be possible if you can get access to the BIOS and change the boot priority. From what I can tell from a DELL Inspiron N5110 when you start the laptop you press F2 to enter the bios.