Adding an SSD to new ROG laptop, what all should i move to SSD besides Windows 10?

theswaz2011

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
Folks! I purposely purchased the ASUS ROG laptop without the SSD as the factory unit was incredibly slow. I am going to add the Samsung 960EVO to the system and move the OS over.

I game and use my laptop heavily for video editing. What all items should be moved to the SSD? I would typically use a portion of the SSD for video editing, and then move the files to the HDD once the project is edited and produced. (my old workflow from previous PC)

What is the best approach?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you getting a 250gb ssd? Anything smaller is getting too small for windows now

Depending on size, I would install every program you use on a regular basis and just have the data on the hdd (I assume you leaving it in?) as the data files don't need to be on SSD and I assume they are pretty big. I install all programs on my SSD as if I need to reinstall win 10, they would all need to be reinstalled with it, so having them elsewhere just leads to a mess. Only things I don't have on SSD are library folders and games.

theswaz2011

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for the info! I actually ended up changing my mind, based on this site and got the 480GB mydigitalssd BPX nvme. I am leaving the HDD for sure and just adding the SSD to the m.2 slot and migrating the OS.