adding another 4gb of ram

Sep 23, 2018
Hello everyone, basic question again for a newbie like me.

So I have this 2x4 gb ram kingston hyper x fury 2400 mhz. I'm planning to buy another ram same brand and same gb and same mhz. My question is does it work faster using 3x4gb ram or should i stick with 2x4 gb ram?

Im using ryzen 3 2200g proc.

Solution
No. Lists are only a loose collection of memory part numbers that SOME PEOPLE have reported to have worked on that platform or motherboard. Even the motherboard manufacturers QVL list is only a partial list of what will work on that board. If it's working on your board, it's working on your board.

It's not a question of if it will work on your board, it's a question of will one set of memory modules work with another set, even if they are the same part number. You could buy one module today, and buy another one with the exact same model number next week, and they could be significantly different or they could even be the same and still not work together. Memory chips are funny that way.

The only time there is anything even close to a...
I can tell you right now you are going to be very likely to run into problems adding memory to an existing module that it did not come with in a matched set, especially since it's on Ryzen. It's a potential problem on any system when you add unmatched memory that was not factory tested to be compatible but it's far worse on Ryzen which is incredibly finicky when it comes to memory to begin with.

My best advice would be to simply buy a matched set of 2 x8GB and sell your current set. If that's not possible then the next best option is not to get a set with the same specs, but a set with the exact same kit part number AND the same specs. Even then, it's no guarantee.

Your chances are better if you have a very high end motherboard with high end memory modules, but even then I've seen a lot of systems simply not work when adding memory as an afterthought later on. BUT, I've also seen it work as well. Seems as though the occasions when it DOES work, versus those when it doesn't, are a lot less frequent than they used to be.

See this thread for explicit details on this issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3610013/amd-ram-compatibility.html#20562100

Sep 23, 2018
i saw the list on rams, it means my 2x4 gb ram is not compatible on my mobo which is b450 aorus m? i need 8 gb stick hyper x fury ram to work properly on my mobo ?

No. Lists are only a loose collection of memory part numbers that SOME PEOPLE have reported to have worked on that platform or motherboard. Even the motherboard manufacturers QVL list is only a partial list of what will work on that board. If it's working on your board, it's working on your board.

It's not a question of if it will work on your board, it's a question of will one set of memory modules work with another set, even if they are the same part number. You could buy one module today, and buy another one with the exact same model number next week, and they could be significantly different or they could even be the same and still not work together. Memory chips are funny that way.

The only time there is anything even close to a guarantee is when you buy all the memory at the same time, in one kit. Even then sometimes there might be issues. I've seen just yesterday a case where a guy bought an 8 module kit and seven were the same and one was different, and they all came together in the same kit. Whole kit had to be sent back because one memory stick did not want to play nice with all the others.

If you buy another memory kit EXACTLY like yours, same part number, same model number, it MIGHT work. BUT, it might not. If you buy some OTHER model of memory, the chances that it won't work are much higher. I'd try it I guess if buying a whole new kit isn't an option. Worst case scenario you can always send it back and try again if it doesn't work.

Solution