Adding dual LAN card to Z370A to improve internet efficiency

Mar 31, 2018
I have a Netgear R8900 with ethernet port aggregation and I'm curious if I should be taking advantage of it. I use my PC for trading; usually running several C# and Excel VBA applications at one time, and I'm considering adding a dual NIC card. My specs are as follows:

Internet connection = 1000 down/40 up

Router = Netgear R8900
Modem = Arris 8200

Desktop = Asus Z370A, i-8700k, 32GB DDR4-3733 CL17, NVIDIA Founders GTX 1080, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb m.2., Intel 16GB m.2. Octane (maybe pointless)

I'm mainly wondering if the Dual LAN will have any benefit, if it should be used in aggregation or simply through two separate ports on the switch, which NIC I should purchase, and if my build will even have enough PCI slots to handle this effectively.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Solution
A dual NIC could be beneficial if you had a second internet service, but even then a dual WAN router would be better. There could be benefits running VMs.

As long as your upload is limited to 40Mibt, that will be your biggest drawback.
Mar 31, 2018

Thanks for your reply, Kanewolf. I'm leaning towards your answer, but I can't help but wonder why so many higher end motherboards offer dual LAN capabilities e.g. Killer 2500 and Intel 219v.

Testing has shown that there are some minor benefits for gaming and general efficiency. Also, most every trading server utilizes a dual NIC, at a minimum.

kanewolf

Titan
A dual NIC could be beneficial if you had a second internet service, but even then a dual WAN router would be better. There could be benefits running VMs.

As long as your upload is limited to 40Mibt, that will be your biggest drawback.

Solution
It is mostly a marketing feature to trap those that think more is always better. I use them to attach to my security camera network that has no connection to the internet or main network. I also use the second ethernet sometimes to be able to capture traffic using a mirror port on a switch....in effect the second port is monitoring the traffic coming and going from the first.

I can't see a second ethernet being very useful for most people. It does come in handy though when killer releases a a crap driver for their "gaming accelerator" and breaks stuff.