Adding Extra NIC to Desktop?

DMGamer_

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
Not sure if this would work or not, but could you theoretically have an add-in NIC, maybe with 2 or 4 ports, working alongside your on board Ethernet port to increase bandwidth, or maybe provide some form of redundancy? Also, if so, how would it work? I've worked on PC hardware for a while now, and while I've also started taking Computer Science courses, I've never really dived into networking, so this poses a few questions for me. Would each port get it's own IP, and would that work, or would the network read them all as different devices, and send information to only one? Would there be extra overhead bandwidth (from 20 mbps to 40 with an additional port) or would it just be an increase in stability? Again, I'm not really familiar with this sort of depth, so while a simple yes or no would be adequate, if a description of why would be appreciated, as I'm eager to learn.
(Also, this is all to do with Windows 10 for the consumer, nothing like server-grade OS control. I know link aggregation is possible through such means, but it's also a grand more than the consumer version.)

Solution
you can add a nic card into your system and then set windows to use both (link them) but since your home router is more than likely no faster than 1GB link, you will not get a whole lot of performance increase using 2 nic cards.

nic are cheap enough you can try....
Link aggregation is used in servers to provide more bandwidth to multiple clients. Unfortunately, on the client side, you're stuck with 1GB. An additional NIC is not going to help. The next step is to start playing around with 10G networking hardware.

TRENDING THREADS