Question Adding extra pair of RAM sticks with different Ranks and RAS#Precharge

Sep 24, 2020
Hello all,

I had a set of 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz memory installed in dual channel, slots 2 and 4. I have bought an extra kit the same and installed it into slots 1 and 3, and have gone in to CPU-Z under the SPD tab to check they're all running correctly.

Something I've noticed is that Slot 1 and 2 and running in Dual Ranks, whilst slot 3 and 4 are running in Single Ranks. The RAS#Precharge for JEDEC #6 is also 14 for slot 1 and 2 but 15 for slot 3 and 4.

I don't really understand what ranks is (and I have no idea about RAS#precharge), but from what I'd read, the Ranks is to do with the memory module itself - the reason it is suggested to buy a 4x8GB kit rather than 2 2x8GB kits would be to ensure the memory is the same and no changes have been made to the manufacturing process etc. between the different modules.

Is this is the case, then why is it that I have a dual and single Ranks memory stick in each kit, rather than one kit as dual and one kit as single? Is there anything I should change to make sure my memory is working as best as it can? (I presume I don't need to worry about the RAS#Precharge numbers being different as I have set the memory to run the XMP profile in the bios, and each memory slot in the SPD tab shows the same numbers in the XMP-3200 column).

Screenshots added below for clarity.

Thanks

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS