[SOLVED] Adding GPU Will Cause Bottle-Necking?

incmachine

Commendable
Oct 14, 2021
If I add this Graphics Card (AMD Radeon HD 7470 GPU - 1GB GDDR5 - DVI + DP - Full height bracket) will it cause bottle-necking in this system?

Specs:

Motherboard:
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4
CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G (14nm) 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor
RAM: Silicon Power 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Model SP016GXLZU320BDAJ5
Case: COUGAR MX410 Black Powerful and Compact Mid-Tower

Solution
I'd save your money. The HD7470 just doesn't have enough of a benefit, and can be worse in more than a few instances. It's an extra power draw that overall won't be worth it. Vega graphics are extremely good, for an igpu.
Jan 2, 2022
I dont think so, just check if your PCIe Lanes in your CPU are sufficient for the GPU. I think it will be ok assuming you dont have a GPU installed already. As normally CPU manufacturers consider the GPU hardware connected when making their CPUs

Reactions: incmachine

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no. The HD7470 is @ 1/2x stronger than the igpu in that 3000G, so whatever bottlenecks you currently suffer from will still be there, just not nearly as bad. Part of its problem is that it's a 1Gb card, whereas your igpu has access to 2Gb± of your system memory. This means in graphics intensive scenes, it takes a hit. However, being as your APU no longer has that hardware reserved ram, fps can go higher in simpler graphics games. So there are some tradeoffs.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022
Thanks, I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to add the GPU.

Others have told me that it doesn't make sense because the integrated graphics in the CPU are already better than the GPU.
Yes actually. Well i would say go for a better GPU and upgrade your CPU. That will help alot as you have a good pair of RAM already