Adding hard drives independent of a raid array

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I'm sure this question has been asked before but a search produced no results. I have a raid array set up in a machine, and want to add hard drives to the computer independant of the raid array.

That is, I want to have the drives already set up in a raid array to stay as they are, and to add a seperate hard drive that's not part of the array.

I'm assuming that means that I can just plug the HDD in and use windows to add a partition, but I just wanted to make sure I won't be affecting the data or configuration of the other drives by confusing the raid setup just by adding another HDD.

Thanks for any help provided.

rockchalk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
From your signature, it looks like you've got an Intel Motherboard. Are you using the onboard RAID? If so, then yes, you can just add the disks and use them separate from your existing array.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008

Heya,

It's as simple as plugging it in and powering it up and booting. Your computer will detect it and you can format it to your liking. It's not on the array unless you include the drive via BIOS into the array you've currently got setup. So you're fine. Windows will notice your RAID array as a "massive storage device" and the other harddrive not on the array will simply be seen as a typical drive, not as that "massive storage device."

Personally I prefer externals because they are nice and fast now and especially like the USB powered ones so that I have less cords. Great way to add quick instant storage to a PC without having to crack the case and mess with things or take more power or add more heat to the machine. When dealing with RAID it's nice to have less things sucking power and making heat all day.

Very best,