Adding memory over system maximum

bberkov

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I ordered a 1GB memory module 200 pin PC5300 and when it arrived and I put it in my machine replacing a 512mb. It turned out to be a 2GB module. The system supposedly has a maximum of 2GB (Gateway MT3422) but it now reports 3GB -- boots and runs ok. Gateway chat rep said the extra memory would make the CPU and bus work harder and extra heat could damage the motherboard. As the work harder bit sounded a bit lame (I'm not overclocking the CPU) although heat issues make some sense, I asked for his information source and before I could ask if this had come up before, he ended the chat session.

Thoughts?

BFB

Solution
What a ridiculous response about the extra heat, etc. The tech simply wanted to discourage you from making any changes to your system. If it works, use it. Even at single channel speed, your system should be much faster with the extra memory. Dual channel is only about 5-7% faster, so you won't notice the difference.
What a ridiculous response about the extra heat, etc. The tech simply wanted to discourage you from making any changes to your system. If it works, use it. Even at single channel speed, your system should be much faster with the extra memory. Dual channel is only about 5-7% faster, so you won't notice the difference.

Solution

bberkov

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Thanks for your input ... that's pretty much what I thought. Since previously I had 512 in one slot and 1GB in the other, replacing the 512 with the 2GB doubles my memory and since I previously had non-symetrical modules, I'm no worse off in that regard.

BFB