[SOLVED] Adding more RAM causes constant BSOD crashes ?

Alexey Shulgin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014
Hi, I've recently decided to add more RAM to my desktop, but after installation I'm getting constant BSOD crashes. Would be grateful for the advice.

My original system:
CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KF
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Cooling: Asus ROG STRIX LC II 360
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR5 5600MHz 64GB( 2 x 32 GB)
GPU: GeForce RTX 4090
SSD: 4 x Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe M.2 NVME SSD 2TB

The rig used slots 2 and 4 for the RAM modules, and everything is working nicely. So I've got an identical set of RAM (Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR5 5600MHz 64GB ( 2 x 32 GB) to put it into slots 1 and 3.
After the upgrade, I've started to have constant BSODs (with different error messages), within 0 -2 minutes after starting computer. Windows 11 reports 128 GB of RAM, and MemTest64 shows no issues.
If I remove new modules and leave only 2 original in place - everything is working fine again.
Power plan is set to Performance mode. Subjectively, all RAM modules are rather warm/hot, and I do not know if it is normal.

Any suggestions what might be a problem/how to fix it?

Solution
that is always the risk you take adding ram that wasn't sold as part of a set with the ram that is already installed. Even if they exact same sticks, they not tested to work together... no guarantee.

its timing, some tiny little difference is enough.

If you want 128gb you best buy it in a set.

have you tried without xmp on?

Colif

Win 11 Master
that is always the risk you take adding ram that wasn't sold as part of a set with the ram that is already installed. Even if they exact same sticks, they not tested to work together... no guarantee.

Solution

Alexey Shulgin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014

Thanks Colif, I have not tried changing any BIOS settings. Should I look for XMP options and disable it?

Alexey Shulgin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014
if you didn't change it, it should be off

the option to turn it on shows in about middle of the left hand side of bios screen - see page 7 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_STRIX_Z790-E_GAMING_WIFI/E21402_ROG_STRIX_Z790_Series_BIOS_Manual_EM_draft1.pdf?model=ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Thanks for the tips.
As soon as I switched XMP on to Auto, everything works fine.
After ca 1 hour of testing, problem came back - constant BSODs. So will go for the new set, rather than adding ...
Other question: RAM is running all the time at ca 60°C is it normal?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS