[SOLVED] adding more ram - ram frequency

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
so my laptop came with 4gb of intergrated memory, and 4gb or removable memory. using the task manager my ram frequency is 933MHz, and just to double i remove the 4gb of removable memory and the frequency stays the same. so what i am trying to get at is, if a add a 16gb ram stick with 2300MHz will it affect the performance because they are different frequency's.
ps. my cpu doesn't support dual channel ram, only single channel.
my laptop specs just incase anyone wants to go further into this -
laptop - acer aspire a315-22.
cpu - amd a9 9420-e.
memory - 8gb ddr4 933MHz.
gpu - AMD Radeon (tm) vega 11 graphics.

thanks in advance!

Solution
so my laptop came with 4gb of intergrated memory, and 4gb or removable memory. using the task manager my ram frequency is 933MHz, and just to double i remove the 4gb of removable memory and the frequency stays the same. so what i am trying to get at is, if a add a 16gb ram stick with 2300MHz will it affect the performance because they are different frequency's.
cpu - amd a9 9420-e.

thanks in advance!
From what I could find, it looks like your model only supports up to 12GB of ram at 2133MT/s memory...
cpu - amd a9 9420-e.

thanks in advance!
At best and if it even works, your new RAM will downclock to built in memory frequency.

cpu - amd a9 9420-e.

thanks in advance!
From what I could find, it looks like your model only supports up to 12GB of ram at 2133MT/s memory speed and that CPU is single channel only. You can't add a single 16GB module, you will need to get an 8GB if you decide to upgrade it and any module you add will be stuck at 933 (DDR4 1866) unless there is an option in bios to increase speed. I honestly don't see how or why you would need more than 8GB of ram in such a low end laptop.

Your CPU has Radeon R5 graphics, not Vega 11. If you intended to increase ram to possibly make games run faster, it won't work. Your CPU and system is about as fast as the i3-4010U (including the Intel HD4400) from 2013 using DDR3 1600. If you want more performance, you will need a new laptop with a better CPU.

Solution