Adding more Ram

Ciaran92

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Hi I have the Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory already, and thinking about adding the Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 Value Select 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 1333 Mhz to my build, just wondering will it work.. thanks in advance!!

Solution
Absolutely mate - its a safer option - you tend to get a 2x4gb set for around 60% more than a single stick anyway - flog your current sticks on eBay or something.
^ not necessarily - its board dependant - I've seen plenty of boards run 2 sticks on channel a & a single stick on channel b in dual channel mode if the channel total is the same.

Saying that I'd just sell the 2x2gb sticks & buy a 2x4gb pair to play it safe personally.

An 8GB kit is the best way to go unless you only have 2 RAM slots. Then you will get dual channel mode for your ram which increases performance, and if in the odd chance one stick goes bad you still can run your computer until you get it replaced.

So I'm wrong but I'm right, lol. You sound like my other 1/2.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Most all recent mobos (last few years) use Flex mode (on Intel) or AMD has their own variant of Flex, which allows running of dual channel with equal amounts of DRAM in each channel and if one one channel has more than the other, the odd overage in that channel runs in single channel mode - more on flex in my article, FAQs, item 7 here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2741495/ddr3-faqs-fiction.html

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The info I presented was for anyone interested, especially Ironsounds who indicated in his response that all would run in single channel, and to back up MadMatt30's statement

"^ not necessarily - its board dependant - I've seen plenty of boards run 2 sticks on channel a & a single stick on channel b in dual channel mode if the channel total is the same.

Saying that I'd just sell the 2x2gb sticks & buy a 2x4gb pair to play it safe personally."

I agree about mixing DRAM and probably point it out to people at least a half dozen or more times a day, it's covered in the Fiction part of that article, Item 2:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html