Adding more ram

DreadKnot

Reputable
Jul 30, 2016
I have Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2133mhz already on my pc and i want to buy another 8gb and the available one now is 2400-2666mhz , so would this be a problem ?

Solution
It's like a lottery ticket, it may work as it may not. There's no guarantee that mixing different RAMs will work as intended, that's why they're sold in kits.

Best case scenario, the faster RAM will just be downclocked by the system and work along your current one in single channel without problems.

manddy123

Admirable
It's like a lottery ticket, it may work as it may not. There's no guarantee that mixing different RAMs will work as intended, that's why they're sold in kits.

Best case scenario, the faster RAM will just be downclocked by the system and work along your current one in single channel without problems.

Solution

DreadKnot

Reputable
Jul 30, 2016

so if i got unlucky , that new ram i bought will be just useless ??? if it's that way then i should better get a 16gb ram kit and throw away the old one i have ?

manddy123

Admirable

If you get really unlucky, yeah. BSOD and other nasty things can happen, unfortunately.

IMHO you should get the kit, and keep this one. That way not only you will have the highest chance of working (because of the kit ) you'll also have a single stick that if it works you'll have a total of 24GB.

Otherwise, you can try sell it or keep from a possible re-use in some other PC...