[SOLVED] Adding more rams

Apr 6, 2020
Hey guys,

so i have bought a new rams recently to fill up a free slots and boost my computer a bit. Till now i had HyperX Fury 2x4GB ddr3 1866 so i get another 2 of the same type. Unfortunately, when i plug all 4 of ´em PC aint booting (or at least that´s what it seems like to me. PC keeps running but monitors, keyboard and mouse aint working). Same goes when i plug A1 B1 or every combination except B1 B2 (rams were always in B1 B2 slots because dumb younger me didnt give a damn about trying to solve a dual channel problem). I have tried resetting BIOS, clearing CMOS, nothing have worked. Any solution? :(

motherboard: asus B85M-GAMER
rams: hyperX Fury 4x4GB ddr3 1866
cpu: intel core i5 4460

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
(rams were always in B1 B2 slots because dumb younger me didnt give a damn about trying to solve a dual channel problem)
I think you've got the root cause right here. You should have solved the dual channel problem a long time ago. This is probably why you're having issues now.

Luckily, it might be an easy fix--reseat your processor and repaste it. Then try to get your original ram running dual channel. If it doesn't work, motherboard probably bad.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah mixing ram can be a crap shoot. But since you have them, we'll just check and see if you can get them running at least.

Ram slots as follows. Same for every board with 4 dimms.

1K39hPk.png

Try old ram in A2 and B2, new ram in A1 and B1. If that don't work, swap the sets around, new ram in A2 and B2 etc.

Your motherboard only supports up to 1600MHz due to chipset limitations. With a working set of ram in place, set XMP in the bios to whatever frequency the motherboard will allow so timings and voltages are properly set. Power down and put the other sticks in.

Apr 6, 2020
Ok, tried to rams position as you said, didnt work :( and XMP is disabled for some of a reason. All i can do is set frequency, BCLK frequency : DRAM frequency ratio and DRAM timing control but i have no idea what to select

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The two middle screws that secure the heatsink to the brackets shouldn't have too much tension on it, just until you feel it stop turning with little force, little more than finger tight. Not sure if you can over tighten it though, but if it could go more with force, then it's on too tight. Check the screws and see how you go.

(rams were always in B1 B2 slots because dumb younger me didnt give a damn about trying to solve a dual channel problem)
I think you've got the root cause right here. You should have solved the dual channel problem a long time ago. This is probably why you're having issues now.

Luckily, it might be an easy fix--reseat your processor and repaste it. Then try to get your original ram running dual channel. If it doesn't work, motherboard probably bad.

Solution