Question Adding new RAM to system

swapnil_7

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2015
Hi Fellas,

I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM from 16gb to 32gb, however have confusion about which pair of RAM (new) to use?

Existing RAM: G.SKill RipJaws V - F4-3000C15D-16GVGB running @ 2133MHz
New RAM: ???

I did find the same RAM, however they're charging it at 20k on amazon.
Here are the list of RAMs in that I think will work with the existing RAM I have (mobo - MSI Z170A Gaming M7):
View: https://imgur.com/a/8JAv7hC

Questions:
  1. Will any of the RAMs mentioned in the image work with my existing RAMs? All are dual kits.
  2. Will a single 16gb ram work with my 2 x 8gb sticks?
Thanks in advance :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  1. Will any of the RAMs mentioned in the image work with my existing RAMs? All are dual kits.
  2. Will a single 16gb ram work with my 2 x 8gb sticks?
Hello my friend!

Unfortunately no one will be able to answer this. RAM is ONLY guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). Any mixed modules are not guaranteed compatibility. This is largely down to how delicate and the manufacturing process is, and how it frequently changes. Theoretically you could get 2 packs of the EXACT SAME make and model RAM, but from 2 different packs and they may not work at all with one another, because they are mixed modules.

Not saying it never works, just it's a gamble, and the only way to find out is my trying it, as even someone with the same system with the same model RAM may have a different outcome. Every system is different.

So all in all, the only way to know if they will work together is to try them. Ensuring timings/speeds etc. are the same is just a way of trying to minimise risk, but it absolutely does not eliminate it. Getting the same part number RAM is the same, it minimises potential conflict, but does not eliminate it.

swapnil_7

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2015
Hello my friend!

Unfortunately no one will be able to answer this. RAM is ONLY guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). Any mixed modules are not guaranteed compatibility. This is largely down to how delicate and the manufacturing process is, and how it frequently changes. Theoretically you could get 2 packs of the EXACT SAME make and model RAM, but from 2 different packs and they may not work at all with one another, because they are mixed modules.

Not saying it never works, just it's a gamble, and the only way to find out is my trying it, as even someone with the same system with the same model RAM may have a different outcome. Every system is different.

So all in all, the only way to know if they will work together is to try them. Ensuring timings/speeds etc. are the same is just a way of trying to minimise risk, but it absolutely does not eliminate it. Getting the same part number RAM is the same, it minimises potential conflict, but does not eliminate it.

I'll be happy to try RAM, however the vendor will not take the RAM back if it does not work in my system unless the RAM has an issue so it'll be a difficult choice to make, perhaps I might just go to the vendor with my CPU :D

Thanks for the input mate!