[SOLVED] Adding old GPU as secondary to system

Sep 19, 2020
Looking for some opinions / experiences
I have an Asus TUF Z370-pro gaming motherboard, with an i5 9600K CPU, 16GB RAM

The CPU has Intel UHD 630 as on-board GPU
I then have an RTX 2060 (6GB VRAM)

The RTX GPU drives the main 4K display, while the on-board drives 2 HD displays. I use the PC for gaming, video editing (including 3D compositing and some 3D design), as well as the usual daily office work, and watching movies.

Would there be any benefit using my old GTX 750ti (2GB VRAM) to drive one or both of the HD screens? I use one of these for a full screen preview when editing video or creating 3D content, or to display Afterburner stats and Discord, when gaming (the other HD is not used when gaming). If I use the GTX 750ti to drive both HD screens, with the RTX 2060 driving the main screen, would there be a benefit to keeping the on-board graphics enabled, so this can be used by any 3D design software or video editing, (thinking OpenCL or QuickSync?

The Asus motherboard can have one PCIe slot running x16 (with the RTX card) and the other (where I would install the 750) can run at 4x.

Any input welcomed :)

Solution
You are unlikely to receive any benefits by doing what you said. If there are any, they will be so small as to be nearly unnoticeable for 95% of people. More than likely the biggest difference will be the extra power your PC draws from the wall.

Depending on your RTX 2060, if you have one that has 3 Displayports and 1 HDMI port on the back, you'd be served just as well by plugging all three monitors into the 2060.
You are unlikely to receive any benefits by doing what you said. If there are any, they will be so small as to be nearly unnoticeable for 95% of people. More than likely the biggest difference will be the extra power your PC draws from the wall.

Depending on your RTX 2060, if you have one that has 3 Displayports and 1 HDMI port on the back, you'd be served just as well by plugging all three monitors into the 2060.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS