Question Adding old Macbook SSD as boot drive to new PC, keeping current HDD with W8.1?

Feb 18, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am looking to add a salvaged 240GB SSD from my old Macbook Pro to my new-ish desktop PC.

Some background:
  • I have removed all necessary files from this SSD and am prepared for diskpart-clean it.
  • I have a Windows 10 Education key to be installed on this SSD.
  • My current PC is running on a 1TB HDD with Windows 8.1.
  • Windows 8.1 keeps telling me that my CPU is incompatible/unsupported with my current version of Windows, and is unable to have all necessary security updates. Hence my desire to update to Windows 10 Education (and since I already have a key).
My questions:
  • Is it possible to use what was once a Macbook SSD (albeit an aftermarket PNY CS1211 one) in a PC, after it has been formatted?
If so, I would like to keep the current HDD with Windows 8.1 as a storage drive.
  • Do I need to format this HDD to add it to the PC as a storage drive, or can I keep it as is?
My concerns with formatting this HDD is that it currently contains my SSD backup, and I don't want to be left with an unusable system if this upgrade goes wrong. I've backed up most important files from my old SSD and my current HDD onto a large USB, but am anxious that I may have forgotten something.
  • Will my mobo or CPU have issues with being assigned to more than one OS?
Assuming all of this is possible, my plan is:
  1. Format / Diskpart-clean the SSD and plug it in.
  2. Unplug the HDD from the system.
  3. Install Windows 10 onto the SSD, and set it as the boot drive in the BIOS/UEFI
  4. Plug the HDD back in to the system, and assign it as D:\Storage.
Overall, will this work?

Thank you very much!
Michael