Question Adding parts to build

Controlled_

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
I'm upgrading a few things and just wanted to make sure I've chosen everything correctly before I purchase.

upgrading CPU, RAM, Case:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: Corsair 16GB 3200
Case: Corsair Carbide 275R

already have:
GPU: 3060
Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4
PSU: 600W

does everything look good, anything I should change? I'd like to buy a new motherboard, but don't really want to spend the money if this one is working fine. Also, upgrading with motherboard isn't going to give me any performance boost anyway, is it?
I was originally going to get a Ryzen 9 5900x, but chose to go with the cheaper Ryzen 7 5800x, as I don't think the 5900x increases FPS really at all, am I correct in saying this? I want to make sure I'm getting good FPS on games such as Warzone/GTA/Battlefield.

Thanks

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Go to your motherboard manufacturers site and be sure that there is a BIOS update available that will make it compatible with the 5800X.
According to what CPU you currently have you may wish to read the notes and make sure it will support the BIOS updates all the way up as well. Some of the B3xx series BIOS updates drop support for 1xxx CPU when you bump to 3xxx support.

Check to see what speed RAM the current mobo supports as well, it might only do ~2999

Reactions: Controlled_
I'm upgrading a few things and just wanted to make sure I've chosen everything correctly before I purchase.

already have:

does everything look good, anything I should change? I'd like to buy a new motherboard, but don't really want to spend the money if this one is working fine. Also, upgrading with motherboard isn't going to give me any performance boost anyway, is it?
I was originally going to get a Ryzen 9 5900x, but chose to go with the cheaper Ryzen 7 5800x, as I don't think the 5900x increases FPS really at all, am I correct in saying this? I want to make sure I'm getting good FPS on games such as Warzone/GTA/Battlefield.

Thanks
Got a cooler for that cpu?

Controlled_

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Go to your motherboard manufacturers site and be sure that there is a BIOS update available that will make it compatible with the 5800X.
According to what CPU you currently have you may wish to read the notes and make sure it will support the BIOS updates all the way up as well. Some of the B3xx series BIOS updates drop support for 1xxx CPU when you bump to 3xxx support.

Check to see what speed RAM the current mobo supports as well, it might only do ~2999
I'm reading this and it says all I have to do is upgrade to version 7.20 or higher for the motherboard to work with the 5800x. RAM support says 3200+

In this case the op might still want to go with the hyper 212, but pick up the 5700x since it's a 65 watt cpu. A ryzen 3 probably just came with a wraith stealth, but I think according to this the 5700x can draw up to 76 watts. Can't tell you that is the max but might be better to be safe.

If you wanted to be cheap on the cooler probably something like a gammax 400 or vetroo v5 would suffice also.

Reactions: Why_Me

already have:

Thanks
https://global.deepcool.com/product...AK400-Performance-CPU-Cooler/2021/15222.shtml

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5700x

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-cpu-review/3

Actually they are up to 7.40. I’ve got the same board but it’s the full size not the M version. Decent board really.

It looks like you’ll need to be on version 7.00 before you can get to either version. So depending how far out of date you are, you may need to install a a bridge bios and then go to 7.00 and the upward. Be sure to read the notes carefully and install what they say in the steps. When you get to version 7.40 make sure when you install the cpu to clear the cmos settings and then set up your xmp etc.

On my board as well, they enabled smart access memory, aka resizable bar. I’m assuming yours did too. Should be a guide on YouTube how to enable it. Free performance.