Adding RAM over CPU max level

jpt7505

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
I hate to put new posts in, especially in such a respected forum however I'm grasping at straws at finding a solution.

I understand that motherboards and CPU's may have different RAM max levels however, If the MB supports 128 and the CPU 64, will any of the software see the added RAM after the initial 64 or would it be a waste?

I would like to add up to 128GB of Ram for After Effects to see without having to go to a new PC and a Xeon CPU.

The CPU won't work with more RAM that it's designed for.

Even if the motherboard will see and boot with more, the CPU will not work with all of it. There was some post about a guy that said that he installed a bunch of RAM and that people did not what they were talking about, but I bet if he benchmarked his program with half the RAM gone, it will benchmark at the same speed.

I don't think you can go over the CPU limit, although I am not totally sure what the limit implies. If it's just a total RAM limit the CPU can use, or if it's the RAM limit per thread or program. So it may see 128 gig of RAM but a single program will only use 64 gig, while a second program can use the other 64 at the same time.