Adding RAM to aging computer; worth it?

Stroganoff Johnsson

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
This question falls into several categories, so if there's a place where you think it'd be better suited, just move it.

Now, my dad's computer is from 2005. It's a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo L. He's not interested in buying anything new as of right now, seeing as how A.) it's never given him any hassle so he's quite fond of it, and B.) it's not a big priority
money-wise right now.

That being said, he's sitting on 256 MB of RAM, which in this day an age is nothing. Even so, I've made sure to tweak his computer and install programs with small memory footprints, which alleviates the problem, to a point.
Furthermore, he's not doing anything too heavy himself. Web surfing, Spotify, audio editing in a rather lightweight program. That kind of stuff. Still, 256 MB is 256 MB, and when he's using multiple programs, things tend to get bogged down. Here are the important specs courtesy of CPU-Z: http://i.imgur.com/Zugmq5q.png

My question is a two-parter of sorts:

1. I was thinking about getting 2x1 GB of never-used RAM for cheap off of a friend to use in my dad's computer. More specifically:

DDR-DIMM-400 Corsair Value Select (PC3200/400MHz CL3)
Memory Configuration - Dual Channel
184-pin

Is this compatible with his motherboard?

2. Assuming it is; will he see any noticeable improvement, or is the processor too much of a bottleneck? My sister has an Asus laptop with a 2 GHz Celeron processor and 3 GB of RAM and it's leagues faster than my dad's
computer. Then again that might have to do with the type of RAM she's got, as well.

Thanks a million in advance!

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Do that! If your friend doesn't want much for it...
It will of course help the rig out.
Sure it's old (by today's standards) but still running, right?
You can find P4 CPUs for Socket 775 here & there - but not so much for your Socket 478.
Anyway, 256MB is ridiculous and even 10 years ago I was playing games on 1GB...
Good for you, keeping the old rig going (and out of landfill).
That Corsair is a good choice BTW, since it is not demanding and will be happy at the stock (default) 2.5v memory voltage.
Regards

Gundy

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
The upgrade to 1GB will be great. 2GB won't hurt, but you probably won't see any difference from 1GB. Those old Northwood core CPUs are great, I still have one of those old P4's running to this day.

Stroganoff Johnsson

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks a lot for the advice!

By the time the extra performance from the added RAM is eaten up by increasingly memory-hungry programs, he probably won't mind buying a new computer altogether (or rather a then year-old used one).