[SOLVED] Adding RAM to x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi

Mar 3, 2021
Hi,
I decided to upgrade my RAM from 16gb to 32gb. I was running 2x8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600Mhz) and decided to add an extra 2 on my MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi mobo.
However, troubles started immediately with a "Device changed (CPU or Memory)" error on startup and complete inability to use any keyboard to input F1 or F2.
I cleared the CMOS and initially it worked fine and was able to access boot menu and enable XMP.
Now I get a variety of errors:
1. Blue screen recovery menu saying that either qevbda.sys, winload.efi or elxstor.sys is missing or containing errors. (again can't use keyboard)
2.Fails to recognise that I have a CPU.

I feel I'm missing something here.
Worth noting that when I remove RAM sticks and go back to 16gb. It usually runs fine. I've checked to see if any of the sticks work and they do. And I managed 1 boot to windows with all 4 sticks in place fine and all working. So I don't think the slots are a problem.
Lastly I'm running an AMD 5950x CPU.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
Yep, I got the latest bios and made sure everything was stable. XMP off everything works fine. XMP on I get the various blue screen errors I described in OP.
Go back to the orig 2 sticks of ram.
Get that to work with xmp.

It looks like there is enough difference between the old sticks and the new sticks that xmp fails.

If you really want 32GB and 3600 shop for a 32GB kit.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I decided to upgrade my RAM from 16gb to 32gb. I was running 2x8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600Mhz) and decided to add an extra 2 on my MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi mobo.
sticks are sold in sets for a reason, they guaranteed to work with each other. But not to work with other sticks even if they exactly the same. It gets harder the more sticks you add, as you have found.
If you want 4 sticks to work together you best off buying 4 in a set. Or buy both sets at exactly the same time as there is a good chance the sticks are the same then. They change over time, it might have slightly different die on them.

You probably find both sets work fine alone but not together.

Mar 3, 2021
I did a bit more tweaking and playing around. I've now managed to get it working so that all 4 RAM sticks are in and everything is working. The problem as it turns out is when ever I activate XMP. They run fine at 2133Mhz. But activating XMP or overclocking just the RAM to 3600Mhz is when I start getting multiple errors.
Any suggestions?

I did a bit more tweaking and playing around. I've now managed to get it working so that all 4 RAM sticks are in and everything is working. The problem as it turns out is when ever I activate XMP. They run fine at 2133Mhz. But activating XMP or overclocking just the RAM to 3600Mhz is when I start getting multiple errors.
Any suggestions?
Turn off xmp.
Make sure the machine is nice and stable.
Go to the mobo maker's site and get the latest bios......non-beta.
Test with xmp off.......if ok......test with xmp on.

Yep, I got the latest bios and made sure everything was stable. XMP off everything works fine. XMP on I get the various blue screen errors I described in OP.
Go back to the orig 2 sticks of ram.
Get that to work with xmp.

It looks like there is enough difference between the old sticks and the new sticks that xmp fails.

If you really want 32GB and 3600 shop for a 32GB kit.

Solution