Question Adding Ram

Sep 24, 2019
So I have two 8GB sticks of ram installed into my PC, which equal 15GB total. I want just a little bit more- about 8 more GB. Can I add two sticks, both 4GB? Or would I need the exact same ones that I have currently. Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
The only way to answer that is to find the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and determine what RAM modules are supported (specs) and in what configurations.

Then you can doublecheck to some extent by going to the various RAM manufacturer's websites and determine if the specs and configurations the RAM manufacturer's provide match those of the motherboard.

If you can establish a consensus regarding RAM module specs and configurations then the new configuration is likely to work.

Plus some of the manufacturer's websites make available a tool or utility that will scan your PC and recommend compatible RAM options.

Always good to ensure that those recommendations are within some consensus.

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
So I have two 8GB sticks of ram installed into my PC, which equal 15GB total. I want just a little bit more- about 8 more GB. Can I add two sticks, both 4GB? Or would I need the exact same ones that I have currently. Thanks.

the exact same ones, especially the same timings. mismatched ram will usually downclock to the slowest speeds for compatibility reasons.

Sep 24, 2019
Asides the compatibility, for sure that's more about stability trouble. Having different RAMs in your modules and probably with different frequencies and latencies will just not give you a good result and can give a hell of a headache.