[SOLVED] Adding second M.2 NMVE Drive

DarthBatman

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Hey guys so I was checking Black Friday deals last night and saw that storage was being discounted. I ended up getting a SK Hynix p31 nvme drive . It’s 500gb.

Currently I have a WD sn750 (500gb) nvme and a 2.5 inch Crucial mx500 (500gb)

I run the sn750 in the m2_1 slot. My OS, Davinci Resolve and some games are on this drive. My question is would I reap any real world benefit by cloning the sn750 to the new p31 drive and then swap the sticks to make the P31 m2 slot1, and then wipe the sn 750 for extra storage in slot 2?

Both sticks seem to be comparable but the p31 edges it out. However there seems to be lack of encryption and firmware support for it.

If it’s a negligible difference in starting and running windows. I wonder if I can just install the p31 to m2 _2 and then move specific programs to that drive for better speeds? I do video editing and some gaming. That route would save the hassle I suppose.

My specs are MSI x570 gaming plus, 32gb (3200) ram, Ryzen 3700x, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra

Thanks for any advice!

Solution
You can't "move programs" like that.
You'd have to uninstall and reinstall on the desired drive.
However...you'll not see any real difference.

Use the new drive for project files. Leave the OS and applications where they are.

DarthBatman

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
You can't "move programs" like that.
You'd have to uninstall and reinstall on the desired drive.
However...you'll not see any real difference.

Use the new drive for project files. Leave the OS and applications where they are.

Okay I gotcha! I appreciate it. And you’re correct I’d have to uninstall and reinstall. I’m still a newb to all this

TRENDING THREADS