[SOLVED] Adding SSD to Acer 5755G

alecsus27

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
Hi!
I'd like to add a SSD to my 10 yo laptop. It has a i5 2430M, 8GB Ram and 2GB GeForce GT 540M, and a 750 GB HDD. Problem is, it's running slow on Windows 10 Pro, and they say replacing the optical drive with a SSD will boost its speed.

It's still running on the 1909 version of Windows 10, I discontinued using this laptop since buying a new one 3 years ago, I guess it's going to start the update by itself. Will the newer versions of Windows 10 be compatible with this old laptop?

Will the other components of this laptop be compatible with the SSD? Adding a new life with the SSD won't create a shock for the its old components?
I will do the optical drive /SSD replacement myself, I hope I won't run into some nasty issues. I performed a similar replacement on my latest laptop - Dell, i3 - and, although it works fine and faster, the battery lasts much less time, as compared to before the replacement.

Thank you.

Solution
Hi!
I'd like to add a SSD to my 10 yo laptop. It has a i5 2430M, 8GB Ram and 2GB GeForce GT 540M, and a 750 GB HDD. Problem is, it's running slow on Windows 10 Pro, and they say replacing the optical drive with a SSD will boost its speed.

It's still running on the 1909 version of Windows 10, I discontinued using this laptop since buying a new one 3 years ago, I guess it's going to start the update by itself. Will the newer versions of Windows 10 be compatible with this old laptop?

Will the other components of this laptop be compatible with the SSD? Adding a new life with the SSD won't create a shock for the its old components?
I will do the optical drive /SSD replacement myself, I hope I won't run into some nasty issues. I...
Hi!

I will do the optical drive /SSD replacement myself, I hope I won't run into some nasty issues. I performed a similar replacement on my latest laptop - Dell, i3 - and, although it works fine and faster, the battery lasts much less time, as compared to before the replacement.

Thank you.
As long as PC has SATA 2 or SATA 3 port, it will not make any difference which SSD. All work same way as HDDs. Ideally, laptop should have SATA3 and AHCI option in BIOS, with SATA 2 speed would be slightly reduced but still much faster than any HDD.
For that problem "the battery lasts much less time, as compared to before the replacement", it's more probably because of windows, drivers and power saving options as SSDs typically use much less power than HDDs.

Solution