[SOLVED] Adding the fourth DIMM prevents XMP post.

Apr 5, 2021
Hello,

I've been messing around with this rig for over a year now and I've finally decided to ask for the help.

I'm running 4 x 8GB sticks of DDR4 Corsair CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 2 of which are ver1.35 and the other 2 are ver4.something? (I don't know if that matters or not)
These are placed into the ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi) motherboard securely.

When there are 2 sticks in place I can run the XMP profile just fine. Using their 3600mhz limit.

When I add 3 you can assume what happens, the XMP profile runs but it's... weird. It's telling me it's running at 2133mhz but I expected those results with 3 out of the 4 slots used.

However as soon as I add this final stick. The XMP profile fails post, it can't even reach 3000mhz.

I've noticed these sticks do not appear on the mobo QVL list. I do understand that this list isn't necessarily the be all and end all. (But it might be?)
I did go in search of sticks that were on the list but I found it extremely frustrating as I spent around 30 minutes not finding a single parts list match.

I purchased the upgrade to expand my limits upon rendering files from After Effect etc, my streaming experience and an overall speed boost.

This is also a new-ish hobby for me and I'm learning a lot each day.
I'm more intrigued in what the issue is rather than actually solving it and worrying that I've wasted my money, I've done plenty of that already! 😆

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love having my horizons expanded!

Full PC Speds:

MOBO: ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi)

CPU: I7 - 9700kf 3.6ghz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

RAM: DDR4 Corsair 8GB x4 CMW16GX4M2D3600C18

PSU: Corsair RM750x

2 NVME M.2 SSD's

3 Sata SSD's

Last edited:
Solution
Do all four modules work at 2133 (default speed, no XMP profile selected)?

If so, does nudging up to 2400 or 2666 continue to work with all four?

Trying to see where the XMP profiles "fail" prior to playing with voltages.
Apr 5, 2021
What are the specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?

Mixing memory makes/model/versions can cause things like what you are describing.

Also, bumping up you memory voltage a smidge might help with this when all 4 modules are installed.

I have added a list at the bottom of my post :) If there is anything else required, please let me know!

Thank you for your time!

Try to do as COLGeek suggests, but the origine of the problem could be that different version of a same part number in Corsair RAM usually means different chip brands. And that, nobody can guarantee that they will work together at full speed (or event at all).
Proceed as COLGeek says ; try a lower speed